View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
khucke
All Star Reserve

Preliminary independent minors setup

My goal is to reach an OOTP setup that simulates the Major League - Minor League relationship before the beginning of the Farm System. Historically Minor League clubs sold their best players to the majors. This cannot replicated in the current OOTP framework. Instead I have to find a different way to ensure that a high percentage of the best players actually reach the Major Leagues and still have functioning, historically plausible Minor Leagues. I'll use the Reserve Clause setting for all leagues, major and minor, but will intervene at the end of the season and release to free agency the best 32 position players and the best 16 pitchers at each minor league level. The bidding power of higher league clubs should then promote the best talent to the Major Leagues. I'm going to record a setup of a number of leagues and then run test seasons to find out if my goals are accomplished.

Step 1 : I create a fictional league of 8 clubs. This will be my AAA league (I'll use modern parlance).

Step 2 : I uncheck minors. This league won't have minor leagues of its own.

Step 3 : I select 1901 standard setting. That's the year the league starts.

Step 4 : I uncheck 'Hold inaugural draft'.

Step 5 : I uncheck 'Hold amateur draft'.

Step 6 : Season Start date set to April 18 with 140 game schedule.

Step 7 : No All-Star game

Step 8 : No playoff. I don' know if there was a playoff in AAA during these years.

Step 9 : Picture option remain unchanged.

Step 10 : For testing purposes I remain unemployed but check 'Play in Commissioner mode'.

Step 11 : 1901 in my starting year.

Step 12 : I create game

Step 13 : I click Game : Setup & Options : Global Setup

Step 14 : I uncheck 'Enable Drug-Suspensions'.

Step 15 : Under League setup I click 'Clear rosters'. The rosters had been filled with fictional players, but we want an historical league here.

Step 16 : I delete all free agents. All rosters and the free agent list should be empty.

Step 17 : Rename teams

Step 18 : Set roster size. There is a list of historical roster sizes somewhere on this forum. If I remember correctly it is at 17 for 1901 for the majors. I suggest to put it at 22 or 23 fot the majors and the minors alike. With a smaller roster major league clubs would be forced to sign 3rd or 3th tier talent in case of major injuries, as the better talent is under contract in the minors.

Step 19 : I disable expanded roster.

Step 20 : I disable 10/5 rule

Step 21 : I disable draft. New players will enter as free agents.

Step 22: I will leave finacial settings alone for now. They will be set up in conjunction with the Major Leagues.

Step 23 : Options tab: I disable all amateur FA settings. I disable Automatic Evolution.

Step 24 : I check all Progressing Options boxes EXCEPT 'Use random rookies from all eras'.

Step 25 : Strategy tab: I import settings for the year 1901

Step 26 : I change 'Number of relievers' to 4 and 'Number of position player to 15. (Roster size of 23). So teams have enough pitchers in case of injuries.

Step 27: Repeat these steps for every minor league you want to create. Gamb's database has about 1300 minor league players in 1901, enough for roughly 56 minor league teams.
It is important to complete your minor leagues before creating the Major Leagues, because the minors are filled with fictional players and additional free agents. You have to delete them if you want to have a pure historical league.

Step 28 : I suggest to make a 'Save as template' at this point, or even earlier so you don't have to get back to the start in case you make a mistake.

Step 29 : Click 'Create game'

Step 30 : Important: Go to League Setup/Names&Affiliations/ and set 'League Level to AAA or AA Or A. If you don't do that the league is classified as 'Major' with all the consequences regarding player career stats and so forth. Do that for every minor league you had created.

Step 31 : Go to 'Global Setup`' Click 'Add League', then choose 'Historical Replay'

Step 32 : Select season 1901, you might choose 'Import complete history', do not check ' use random players'.

Step 33 : Click 'Show advanced options'

Step 34 : Pick path to Spritze's or Gambo's database. (Downloadable from ootpmods.com)

Step 35 : Set 'Base Current Ratings on..' to Neutralized Stats ( I'm not sure it's neccessary, but I recommend it)

Step 36: repeat Step 2.

Step 37 : Player development : I choose the 'Use OOTP develpment engine' setting. Recalculate is the other option, but I don't know how minor leaguers are affected by this setting.

Step 38 : I repeat Steps 3 to 11.

Step 39 : Under Global Setup I choose ' Use Complete Scouting'.

Step 40 : I repeat Steps 17 to 21.

Step 41 : I retain the default financial setting for the Major Leagues. I adjust the AAA salaries :

AAA Super star salary = Major League average quality salary MINUS 10 percent. I set the other AAA salary levels accordingly, only shrinking the spread between highest and minimum salary.

I set AAA attendence to about 70 percent of Major league attendence, do the same with ticket prices. Click repeatedly 'refresh`button. Take care that AAA 'Average Profit' remains well below Major League level, reach that by adjusting 'Average ticket Price' or 'Average Attendence'.

Do the same to every minor's level

This setup should ensure that 'Super star' AAA players earn more money playing as an Major league average player instead of remaining in AAA.

Again a AA Super star salary = AAA average salary MINUS 10 percent.

This is the most crucial area for testing and tweaking.

Step 42 : Repeat steps 23 to 26

Step 43 : Form a League Assocciation with all leagues

Step 44 : Check settings of leagues once more, I'm not sure to what extent Association rules override league settings.

Step 45 : Start season

I do not claim that these instructions are the optimal one or that they are even complete. They are guidelines for my own test runs and I like to invite those interested in the matter of independent minor leagues to further discuss, tweak or discard them as they please.

Last edited by khucke; 04-23-2013 at 06:43 AM. Reason: I forgot crucially important steps 43 and 44
khucke is offline   Reply With Quote