View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #32
Oyaji
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
The templates have certainly worked out well.

You're overrating Seguin in comparison to the other three, though, and you're particularly underrating RNH's defensive work (he is fantastic at picking pockets). Behindthenet supports Edmontons first line defensive work and puck possession as well as their horrible puck luck.

If we look at Chicago, for example, Patrick Sharp has five stars. While he's a great player, how many people would realistically say he is better than two first overalls ever will be?

Anyway, this doesn't need to be about arguing who is better than whom. I just wanted to highlight some issues with the Oilers roster about three first overalls having less potential than other players in their own draft class.
Yep, advanced stats show Hall to be the engine that drives the Oilers attack. He may not be a brilliant defensive forward but his puck protection and freakish physical attributes allow him to be on the attack far more than in his own end. I don't know if his supreme possession numbers should necessarily dictate him being rated as a very good two way player though. There's a similar thing going on with David Booth. Canuck fans dislike him because he's rather myopic and the eye test would say he's limited defensively, but his possession numbers are great because of his skating, puck protection, and determination to get the puck on net. I wouldn't necessarily rate him as a good defensive forward either, but certainly try to get across that his puck handling and physical attributes are way above the norm.

I did a few quick sims, one as the GM of the Canucks, one unemployed (both crashed at July 1st). A few things about Canuck ratings:

Alexander Edler is and has been Vancouver's best defenceman for the past 3 years. He was tasked with carrying zombie Sami Salo around last year, so a lot of his numbers didn't look great but he was still the best D on the team. Both simulations had the Canucks missing the playoffs, so maybe instead of just switching Hamhuis and Edler's overall strengths, Edler's ratings could get a bump. In particular, he's a physical specimen and I'd certainly increase his strength, checking, and hitting. He's rated highly elsewhere, so I'm not sure why that only translates to 3.5 stars. A few inaccuracies:

*Alberts & Edler are listed as RD, should be LD
*Booth is a natural LW and struggled at RW last year
*Henrik Sedin is captain, Kesler and Daniel his associates
*Sedins have really high skating attributes when in truth it's their biggest weakness. They're still above average though.

Other than that, the ratings as a whole are really strong in general. One thing though, Martin Erat was rated 1 star in current ability and 4 in potential (his offensive attributes are all either 1 or 2, but he does have an offensive potential of 750). This could be one of those deals where he's rated properly in the DB but it's not transitioning into the quickgames properly.

Thanks a lot for your hard work!