View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #15
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

March 14th, 1985

I wasn't in the game today against the Expos.

My roomie David Linton got the start. He did okay but we lost 5-4.

March 15th, 1985

I started against the Phillies with Marty Bystrom on the mound against us.

He struck me out to start things off.

I got back up in the 2nd and walked on four straight pitches. Bystrom was having control problems because I also moved up a bag on a wild pitch to Chris Brown, hitting behind me. That's as far as I got.

In the 4th Ernie Whitt hit a single past me. It was a legit hit, but my standards are pretty high. I should of had it.

Whitt ended up scoring. They scored 4 times that inning, though I did end it with a nice play on a grounder by Von Hayes.

I led off the 5th with another strike out, this time against Tony Ghelfi.

Len Matuszek hit an RBI single just past me. It feels like I am not getting it done today. Later Rob Deer and I teamed up to gun down Matuszek trying to score from 1st on a big hit by Jeff Stone. That was a nice play.

In the 7th I was pulled for pinch-hitter John Castino.

We lost 9-2.

I am not really happy about this game.

My stats so far: I am hitting .261 with a .292 OBP. I only have one XBH (a double) and I have knocked in 2 and scored twice. The three stolen bases is nice.

They keep starting me, though. Am I actually going to make my major league debut at 17 without a day in the minors?

I don't think I am ready, but the team is in pretty dire straights.

There are six shortstops on the Spring Roster. Brad Wellman has mostly been playing second. Fran Mullins has been getting the starts when I sit. The other three (Kevin Bates, John Stevenson, James Wasem) haven't been getting much playing time at all. Wellman and Mullins both have big league contracts with no options left. Ken Oberkfell and John Castino both have options at second base so I guess it could be me and Welly playing with Mullins as utility.

Wow. That would be something.

I have to start playing better, though.

````````````````````````````````````````

Last edited by rpriske; 01-15-2017 at 10:49 AM.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote