View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #705
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaaemon View Post
Bird,

Please keep track over the next few years of that filthy Joe stinking Brodeur cheater and his batting ratings. I am very curious how OOTP handles players getting busted for peds. Do they begin to lose power or any other ratings at any point after being caught? Being as he is a young player we should get an idea by watching his losses.

Big caveat for you regarding the expansion and this is one of the reasons why it's suggested that league evolution is not used. There may not be a schedule that matches the changed league structure. I will look to see if I can find a schedule that matches, if not we may have to either make one or have one made. FYI anytime you make a change to ANY league structure (including minor leagues when expansion happens) you have to generate a new schedule for each level that has changed. Also the league evolution will NOT create the divisions for you. It only offers league expansion by adding teams. So you will need to do that. Also, and kind of important, most likely the next expansion (which could come soon or take decades) will put the next two teams in the MJL, but there is a chance that they could be placed in the SJL.

My suggestion is to shut off league evolution. When you are ready, add the divisions and when you are ready to expand (do so on the first day of the off season) do so (but when you manually expand make sure that you you expand each teams minor league teams also). Of course don't forget to generate a new schedule when you do this for each level (MLB, AAA, AA, A etc.). I know the schedule(s) exist for the 24 team, 2 sub-league, 2 division, 6 team league so you will be fine when you get to that point.

Think about it.

BTW congrats on landing Kawasaki!

Have a good night!

Palaaemon

So, even before this PED suspension, I wondered if Brodeur might not end up being a bit of a flash in the pan due to his character flaws. Interestingly, although he had a very strong 1974, his HR total was way down from his MVP 1973 season. He dropped from hitting a league leading 41 in 1973 to just 16 in 1974. And his WAR dropped from 10.2 to 6.5. Don't get me wrong, he is still one of the best players in the SJL. But I do also wonder if, with his lack of natural speed, his defense in left field, which right now is quite good, might decline rapidly as he ages. Granted, he could shift to first base, but his basic infield defensive ratings are very, very bad. And my experience with the WPK at least has been that poor makeup guys don't tend to stay at the top very long, although Jamel McNeil is an exception. Admittedly, there is no indication yet that Brodeur's work ethic is poor, mostly just that he's a bad teammate and not very bright. But I will definitely keep you all posted about his progression.

Now, as for league evolution and expansion. First, league evolution in general- I really would love to continue to use it, with some features disabled. Unlike many who post here, I don't want to have much control over how my league progresses, other than being able to rein some things in to not get too overboard in any one direction, particularly in terms of statistical results. But, as I've indicated before, I love the idea of not really knowing what's coming next and having to adjust to that.

But expansion. I assume when you refer to the potential scheduling problems that those come with manual expansion and/or manual restructuring of the league. I was a bit worried about whether schedules were created for expansion clubs and particularly their minor league affiliates, but so far all looks good. I am guessing the program can handle this providing I just let it do it's thing.
So what to do about the next step? I hear what you are saying about just shutting this down and doing it manually when I am ready (it meaning adding 2 more franchises and restructuring the league to a divisional setup with 6 teams each division). I guess my instinct is still to play this out for at least a few seasons and see how quickly the program adds another 2 teams. And then hope they get added to the MGL. And then figure out whether I want to live with two 12 team leagues, no divisions, or figure out/get help with splitting into a divisional setup.
I'll admit that some of this might be laziness or perhaps more accurately a concern that the more I muck about with things the worse things could become. I don't want league evolution to ruin my beloved league, true, but even more so I don't want my reaction to it, or my desire for some specific kind of change, to do so. And my experience with OOTP thus far tells me that I'm usually pretty happy with how things work out when I don't try to force things.

For now, I'll keep thinking about it. And as always, I really do appreciate your input and feedback- and the fact that you so avidly follow this league- so please don't think I am blowing you off or disrespecting your advice. That is the farthest from the truth. But I am a very intuitive person and in my life I've often found that when I don't follow my own instincts things often go very poorly.

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote