View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #90
shootermcgavin
Bat Boy

Contracts, speed, etc.

Love this game, and I completely understand that this sort of game will never be bug-free. Just wanted to submit a few friendly thoughts and issues that are making the game tough to play. Apologies if these have been posted elsewhere:
  1. I can't re-sign players during the 2013-14 season -- and what's more, I can't re-sign them in July 2014, after the season is over. They sit in the free agent pool, but I don't have the option to re-sign them. (Playing as the Canadiens, that includes Subban, Eller, Emelin, etc.) Further, I can't sign some other newly free agents (e.g. Brayden Schenn, Adam Larsson, Michael Del Zotto). However, I can sign some other free agents who are coming off of NHL contracts (e.g. Gaborik, Girardi, D. Sedin, Phaneuf).
  2. Running on a decent machine, it can take 30 seconds or so to sort the list of UFAs by a skater stat -- defense, say. Similarly, simming can take a surprisingly long time.
  3. The RFA system doesn't appear to be working -- players with expiring contracts seem to become UFAs whether they should or not, and I don't seem to be given the option to either qualify or re-sign them.
  4. I've frequently got a lot of unhappy players, because my just-signed 19-year-old prospects seem genuinely shocked (shocked I tell you) to be sent down to the AHL. I understand that everyone wants to make the big club, but expectations have got to be tempered a bit. Would it be possible to rig up an equation for a player's dissatisfaction at being sent down -- something that takes into account his age, the number of years he's spent in the AHL or ECHL, and his current ability level?
  5. The salary figures seem to have gone all wonky -- it seems relatively accurate when describing my cap space for the current year, but its prediction for the following year is way off -- in July 2014, it says I'm on track to have -$12M in cap space for the following year, even though I've got $13M in cap space this year, lots of contracts will have run out next July, and nobody's set to get much of a raise.
  6. Cap space also seems to be taking into account a player's current salary, not the averaged salary across his contract.
  7. The trading system seems to have done a 180-degree turn in terms of difficulty -- whereas in previous beta versions it was near impossible to get full value for your assets, now it seems that George Parros and a 5th-round pick can fetch pretty much any superstar. The CPU seems to especially undervalue the rights of unsigned players -- I picked up Pietrangelo's rights for Travis Moen, and St. Louis thought they got the deal of the century.
  8. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but on July 1 the CPU automatically calls a handful of my AHL players up to the big club, even though I'd set roster moves to be made only by me. This is a hassle, because sending them back down upsets them, and because their salaries paint an inaccurate picture of how much cap space I have to sign free agents.

That's it for now -- thanks for making a great game, and I look forward to pouring far too many hours into it!
shootermcgavin is offline   Reply With Quote