#24 Min-Kyu Phyo
#17 Te'Kwaan Whyte

Outfielders (5)
#45 Joe Breaux
#7 Zack Granite
#32 Victor Victor Mesa
#16 Victor Robles
#57 Will Shirah

Got some good feelings about this group. There's a good amount of flexibility - I gave Matheny his choice of seven starters, basically, and he chose to put Martin Perez in the bullpen, and also to have Will Shirah primarily hit instead of pitch. It's a freeing feeling having a two-way player like that that can handle basically any roster situation we find ourselves in. He's going with the order of Flaherty-Lucchesi-Holder-Pineda-Canning for now.

Shirah will be available out of the bullpen as one of three lefties (Miller and Wilson are the others). Jared Miller is our closer until things go wrong, so Shirah might see a good bit of time as a lefty option if Wilson's already pitched and Miller's not available for that situation.

The surprise of camp was seeing Luis Mota win the starting shortstop job away from MK Phyo. Luis came up for us last season when we were having a tough time with injuries and hit so well I couldn't send him back down. He hit .185 with our AAA team in Honolulu but .348 in the bigs! If he actually plays a full year at short, I think he's a Gold Glove contender. Matheny says he's gonna have him lead off, at least to start the year, so we'll see. As for Phyo, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take some time away from Travis Maezes at 2nd. Travis is a popular player around here but he had a pretty bad year in 2022, so hopefully he's on notice.

I'll probably post the first week's worth of games tomorrow - the season starts on a Saturday so I'll have 8 games in the first post and 6 thereafter. We start the season with a quick 4-game homestand vs. the Suns and Diamondbacks before our first road trip, to St. Louis, Omaha and then Buffalo. Our lineup for the first game against New Mexico is gonna look like this:

SS Luis Mota
RF Victor Robles
3B Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
1B Morio Ishihara
LF Will Shirah
CF Victor Victor Mesa
2B Travis Maezes
C Kole Cottam
P Jack Flaherty

Last edited by Ruwisc; 01-07-2020 at 01:53 AM.
Ruwisc is offline   Reply With Quote