View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 08:48 PM   #1
Ruwisc
All Star Reserve

MLB60 (feat. the Salt Lake Bees)

It's always been my opinion that, irrespective of financial or attendance concerns, the sport of baseball would be a better game if MLB expanded by, like, a lot. Introduce more players into the majors, and allow the league's best players to more readily show how talented they are by allowing them to play against opponents who wouldn't have cracked a 30-team MLB. Some people call this "diluting the talent pool", and that's one way to think about it, but there are so many players out there, and the gap between the great and the merely good is so often so hard to find, that I think the league would, from a talent standpoint, be much better served by letting the league grow.

And so that's what I've done! Beginning in 2018, MLB has doubled in size, from 30 teams immediately to 60. (This game began in OOTP19 but I'm now playing it in OOTP20.) The league opened with a fantasy draft, with the 30 real-life MLB teams picking two players each before the 30 expansion teams could. Almost no one is on the team you're used to seeing them on - it was actually a little jarring to see Freddie Freeman playing with Atlanta because he was the only major star I could spot in his real location.

Five seasons have already been played. I have and will be playing as the Salt Lake Bees (GM-only), but I'm gonna try to cover the league as a whole in this space as well. The first several posts will be looks back at what has happened in this universe so far, followed by previews of all 60 teams for the upcoming 2023 season.

You might or might not have already seen the set of 30 expansion teams that I'll be playing with and against, since I've been designing them myself over in the Mods forum! A link to that thread is here, where you can see all of the team logos in more detail. I'll finish up this first post with some maps showing the division alignment, and I'll get in to more specifics about what makes this league tick in post #2. Both leagues have five divisions of six teams each; in both maps, the West Division is shown in red, the Central in yellow, the North in green, the South in blue and the East in pink.

American League:

National League:

Last edited by Ruwisc; 01-05-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Ruwisc is offline   Reply With Quote