View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
cbbl
All Star Starter

Joe/Hyrcaj:

Thanks. I'll take your collective points seperately:

RE: Posting about the dynasty

I'll definitely post the league's progression on the boards just in case anyone cares (probably not, but it will be fun anyway). I decided I'm going to do it through newspaper articles...should anyone actually follow my dynasty, it will be like following the sport in the early days through the newspaper articles that discussed the league. In the earliest days (19th century) many details were included, and the articles pretty immersive. Maybe as the league gets newer, I'll switch formats.

RE: The PCL schedules and city populations

I'm not going for historical replication here, obviously. To do that would require numerous more leagues and starting even earlier. I have a spreadsheet I've built of every league in the U.S. from 1871 onward, and the years of existence. I've sometimes thought of cataloging the history a bit more completely by editing some of the BR Bullpen articles -- as you saw in one of my other posts, so much can be learned from reading the newspaper articles of the day.

But, that's too much work!! So, I'll create some--but not too much--work for myself by having an alternate reality.

I do try to keep historic city populations in mind ... but take some liberties to allow the fictional growth of league and not simply follow the actual leagues and teams that operated). As you probably know, professional baseball in California started in the San Francisco area, it being the largest city in the state for many years, but leagues and teams did form in many minor cities in the day, although most did not have longevity. For example, the real Southern California League had teams in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, and San Diego in 1899, although the league only lasted one season. But LA had a team at least as far back as 1892 as part of the 3rd version of the California League. And, of course, you'll find 19th century teams in tiny locations such as Stockton, San Jose, and Santa Cruz, although, again, most were in San Francisco.

RE: Keeping the history of defunct leagues

I'll test drive the league deletion again before I start. I know it works, and the teams show their inclusion in the league, but a deeper look is worth it before getting started. I don't really want the league history to be 1890-1999 though, if it really only lasts two years.

RE: being a GM

I'll probably switch between being a GM, being a casual spectator, and being a completely-involved-in-everything players. I'll use multiple human managers and the OOTP "prevent" and "allow" AI functions to rotate roles and my universe unfolds.

RE: Progression of the league

I support random for league progression, to a point ... but I'm not willing to stray too far from reality. For example, it would be highly unlikely for a SF or LA team to fold while a Stockton or Fresno team survives. Hence forcing the smaller market teams to fold in my plan. This parallels real life (even back then!) although the cities and teams are not identical.

Thanks guys! I hope you'll follow along as this gets built! I may take another week or two before I'm ready to officially launch, and possibly even a restart or two before progressing. It's hard to anticipate all of OOTP's peccadillo when trying something like this!!