View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #16
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

We should sticky the above post by Eugene Church for anyone considering a dynasty thread. Insightful and informative. Words to live by.

Eugene, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the league size. It’s for that very reason that I’m doing a simple 8-team league. Because I’m such a stats geek, I’m forcing myself to focus on the storylines by making it a 40 or 80-game season. That way I can’t get too focused on home run totals, wins, strikeouts, etc.

The funny thing is, I’m actually doing all of this as background on just one character for a story I’m writing. 99% of this will never see the light of day as far as the story is concerned outside of ootp, but it will give a foundation for his motives, decision-making, and personality. I think I have a beginning and an end pretty well sketched out for this dynasty. Aside from a planned plot point or two, I may just see where the game takes us on the in-between.

Thank you Eugene. Your dynasty is a huge part of why I’m doing this. World building is such a fascinating thing to me, and you set the bar so high here. I remember doing my Sim Baseball League several years back, building my own world. And it was so fun. Then someone asked me for a map of where all these teams were located. I always regret not taking the time to draw out a map like you have done. Instead I took a United States map and plugged those teams in places where it seemed like they fit best. It broke the immersion and I always kick myself for not seeing it through, and at that point it became - as you put it - kind of a stats dump. Lesson learned, but all of that got me here.

Always nice chatting with you. Nice to find some who “gets it.”

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
SimNation Fictional Universe (est. 1889)
This is Oakland A's Baseball
Beane Counting: The Oakland A's
Hendu Style is offline   Reply With Quote