View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Just as in OOTP, I love playing in "spectator" mode and just watch a league unfold over time. I keep tabs on dynasties, player histories, the draft, records, big trades, international tournaments etc. It's easy this way to become immersed in your league - it ends up feeling quite "real" over time as you start recognizing players and you become invested in following their progress over time.

As a Habs fan in real life, I make sure to keep a close eye on the FHM 3 Canadiens. Dustin Hovdebo, the 18th overall pick back in 2042, quickly made a name for himself due to his goalscoring touch. At age 26, he already has 318 NHL goals (through 629gp) and is quickly shooting up the all-time Habs goal scoring list where he currently sits 11th. He's already a 3x all-star and has just won the 2049-2050 Maurice Richard award. At 6'5, 245lbs, he's an absolute force with the puck.

You can imagine my surprise when Hovdebo was snubbed by Team Canada and left off the 2050 Olympic roster. Coming off 49 and 39 goal seasons, I had figured he was a lock. Also add the fact that he's represented Canada multiple times internationally (he played in 3 World Championships, a WJC and the World U-18's) and I guess I just assumed he was in Canada's good books. I know the Canadian Olympic roster is the toughest to crack in all of hockey, but I still viewed it as a snub.

Canada went on to win Olympic Gold (vs Slovakia, who compared to the rosters of the other countries were a massive underdog) but I enjoyed seeing Hovdebo win the Maurice Richard award a few months later. That would be a pretty interesting story in real life. A 26 year old goal scoring superstar snubbed from Team Canada who went on to win the Maurice Richard that same year. I imagine it would spark quite the discussion.

It'll be interesting to see if he's still playing at such a high level come 2054 and if he makes the club then.
Attached Images
Image Image 

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote