Old 03-12-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
JT_Dutch
Minors (Single A)

Inglewood, California
June 30, 1983

Name:  009 -The Forum.png
Views: 851
Size:  484.0 KB

"Hard to believe it's been two decades since I've been to the Forum ... and the only reason I'm back here is because I'm three and a half decades in the past, somehow."

(He gets waved in, and arrives at Rogie Vachon's office. They shake hands.)

VACHON: "It's good to see you. Let's take a walk."

(They take an elevator up to the main concourse, and head through a tunnel into the main bowl of the Forum. They meet with four men, who are already sitting in spectator seats.)

VACHON: "Here are the four best players on the Los Angeles Kings as we head into the 1983-84 season."

Name:  Dionne.png
Views: 888
Size:  249.7 KB

MARCEL DIONNE: "Hi, my name's Marcel. I'm a legendary player in this game. I'm 31, but I'm still the best player on the team. By sheer numbers, I'm one of the top ten scorers in hockey history. I'll be an absolute shoo-in for the Hall of Fame upon retiring."

(J.T. nods.)

Name:  Larry Murphy.png
Views: 892
Size:  192.0 KB

LARRY MURPHY: "I'm Larry. I'm a 22-year-old defenceman. I'm durable and consistently productive on the offensive end. I'll end up in the Hall of Fame, also."

(J.T.'s eyes widen. He glances over at Rogie, who simply nods and gestures toward the third player.)

Name:  Taylor.png
Views: 970
Size:  187.5 KB

DAVE TAYLOR: "I'm Dave, but call me Stitch. I'm 27. I'm a fine defensive forward who's also capable of being a top-ten scorer in the league. I'm tough, and I'm a leader. I'm basically Bob Gainey with added offense. It's a crime that I don't end up in the Hall of Fame as soon as I become eligible, but I may get there one day."

VACHON: "Gainey ends up in the Hall of Fa-"

"I think I have a feeling where he ends up, Rogie."

(VACHON smiles. He gestures in the direction of the fourth player.)

Name:  Nicholls.png
Views: 903
Size:  224.3 KB

BERNIE NICHOLLS: "Hey, I'm Bernie. Like Larry, I'm 22 years old. I'm a bit of a free spirit, but I can play. I'm a great scorer and my hockey sense is excellent. I'll end up scoring many more points than a lot of Hall of Famers before I retire, but somehow won't get in myself."

(The players walk toward the tunnel and head to the concourse. J.T. and VACHON are still seated.)

"Did they just come here to introduce themselves to me???"

VACHON: "Not totally. They might get some work in the Nautilus room and then grab a bite to eat in the Forum Club."

"The Nauti-huh? Whatever. Anyway. There are two Hall of Famers and two borderline Hall of Famers within this team's nucleus, and all of them are either young or enjoying extended primes. That's tremendous! Are you on the threshold of a Stanley Cup? Do you need me to help get you guys over the hump? How far did you guys get in the playoffs last seas-"

(VACHON raises his hand with his palm facing J.T., effectively terminating J.T.'s questioning. VACHON then shakes his head ... slowly, and wearily.)

VACHON: "You don't understand, kid."

Last edited by JT_Dutch; 03-12-2020 at 07:12 PM.
JT_Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote