Thread: New features!
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 09:51 PM   #155
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
I don't want to derail the thread in steam vs stand alone battle.So this is the last I'll say on the matter.

Steam has over 125 million users. The more coverage a game gets on steam the more users who are exposed to it.

This means more turn based fans, more grand strategy fans, more rpg fans, more city building fans and more sports fan. And now card games. Which are huge these days. Yes OOTP is a sports game but it does have huge crossover appeal in the grand strategy, turn based, and city building genres.

Football manager is a top 15 game on steam. Its like the non identical twin of OOTP. Not to mention several Civilization games and grand strategy games from Paradox all littering the top 15-20 games on steam. Football manager has 3 games in top 100. But 2019 is in the top 15 with about 60,000 daily players.

OOTP is not even in the top 100 steam games. So thats less than 4000 daily steam users. Because a huge portion of the OOTP community is stand alone installer.

If 60,000 are playing Football Manager I don't see why OOTP can't get +20k daily users on steam. That is huge free advertisement.

Or hey make a splash and go 100% exclusivity with Epic Game Store. It would sure generate an enormous media buzz.

The stand alone game installer days are DEAD. Doesn't matter if anyone likes the idea or not. Its just fact. The gaming community must adapt or die off. Its going to be Steam vs Epic from here on out. Yes you have less profit per each key with a store but huge market base you can't get on your own.

And if you become a top 10 steam game many gaming sites publish the list every week. Which is more advertisement.

Plus the kids love card games and kids only know Steam. But when they go there its dead. Nothing going on in steam forums and nothing going on in the steam mod workshop.

I don't disagree. OOTP is the last stand-alone game I play. With the exception of a couple of games I bought through Uplay, everything else is through Steam. I toyed with the idea of buying OOTP through Steam the past couple of years, but old habits die hard I suppose. Unless something is seriously effed up, getting patches slightly faster as a stand-alone customer isn't much of an incentive either any more.

I dunno. Maybe next year.