View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 09:39 PM   #204
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
For the most part, I agree with you. I've stated as much throughout this thread already. I did about 20 collections and then ran into a wall of hyperinflation with the others, so I ended up as a seller also.

It's not even really that the balance of reward vs expenditure to complete said collection is slanted toward paying substantially more than each SE reward card is worth.

For me, it's more that the collecting part isn't intrinsically fun like I'd hoped it would be. When you click on one mission, study it, find 1 of the 8 cards reasonably priced, another 3 overpriced by an order of magnitude or two, and the rest needed are completely absent. Then, you repeat the exercise for another half-dozen missions before simply concluding it's not worth the time. I mean, even the simple 1-star missions are generally much more difficult than they need to be. I feel like there should be more easy ones, but the marketplace has other ideas...

I ended up paying about 21K for the SE Eddie Plank (as a LIVE A's collection reward) and significantly less (maybe 5K for the LIVE Tigers?) for the SE Harry Heilmann and he's my DH now against LHP. So it's not unreasonable in some cases to get useful SE cards. I just wish the collecting part was a bit more fun, that you could find deals from time to time. That the single copy of Chien-Ming Wang available wasn't still being priced at 20K PP 1.5 months after that "easy" mission was published.

One thing to consider, though, even as I lament how much more I wish I enjoyed the missions--the collection missions have drastically changed the EV calculus for pack opening. Whereas pack opening felt like setting PP on fire in most cases, now you can hit on these cards needed for missions and they really prop up the PP you can recoup. Iron and bronze and silver cards, unplayable at most levels, are going for 1K, 3K, and 5K. These were in the tens and hundreds of PP a couple of months ago.

I'm not really sure what the fix is, or if one is even necessary. Some people seem to enjoy doing the collections just fine like they are now. There's just maybe others of us that will hardly bother with them in OOTP 21 unless going on each mission doesn't feel like getting extorted for some massive ransom of PP.
Agree 100%. I just decided they weren't for me and have stopped looking. I'll take the extra points for some off my junk and focus on players I'm going to play with.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote