View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 01:50 AM   #34
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Here is the file I use.

Basically, enter your desired stats into column B of the Test tab. Enter your Modifiers in column D. Run a sim (backup your league!) and enter the stats output into column E. It will auto-calc what the next Modifier should be set at (in column H). Proceed right until you get the stats you want.

I have Conditional Formatting set for red (too high) at >2% and yellow (too low) at <2%. You can set these how you want by editing the Conditional Formatting setting.

Note: there can be a kind of a pendulum effect for lower number stats, so keep an eye out for that.

I also have minor leagues set to 30 teams, so you may want to adjust those if your minor leagues are less than 30 teams so your minors stats output doesn't come out wonky.

I use this for a heavily modified league, but I haven't needed it for other OOTP quickstarts.

Let me know if you have any questions.
do you have to type all that data in?

check out my sheet, it's going to save you time and carpal tunnel syndrome.

jaburns, Hockey13Playa

go to the thread i linked above, it has a long drawn out process that may have tidbits to help with the actual spreadsheet useage -- getting the data in there etc...

you need to export stats -- customize export data so you only get the batting, pitching and fielding csv.. make sure "headers" are inlcuded -- in the customization start be "deselect all" then check those 4 boxes i mentioned.

as i mentioned before, my spreadsheet will only work out-of-the box with aleague that has 2 sub-leagues -- like al and nl in mlb, but name clearly isn't relevant. (# of teams or gp is irrelevant, it'll work in all of those contexts). fixing this is easy. it involves "fixing" the first row of the "worksheet" data table.. then, "filling" down to bottom of table. all fixed in a few clicks. basically you just stop it from adding 2 rows together, then fill that down... will 2x the data's rows too 200 years ready instead of 100... extra is no problem... too few of rows is a problem.

now you export the data... they show up in import/export folder. per year subfolder? you'll find it. you can even set this up to automatically occur each year -- on jan 1 it'll dump the data.

now put those three files in same directory of the spreadsheet for ease -- doesn't have to be there.. can be literally anywhere...

whatever you do, be consistent. if yo move them, always move them -- that way you don't have to update the path to the file itself when you update data for the spreadsheet.

if unfamiliar with linking to a table from file:

https://www.google.com/search?client...ta+spreadsheet

google similar search terms.

when you open my spreadsheet, the last three worksheets are batting, pitching and fielding -- you never touch these or you will break it! lol.

when you update links to these 3 exported files, they will fill and replace any existing data on those worksheets. no work from you, beside clicking "yes" update, please.

no typing in data necessary. in future, you simply update the data links and it is done. all stuff is re-calculated immediately (assuming you didn't change that default setting in the program itself, lol.. think f3 or f5 refreshes if you need to manually do it.)

i have the path for the same directoy of the spreadhseet, if not mistaken, so best to do that if you don't want to fiddle with it. just dump them in same directory before you load spreadhseet.

when it opens it will ask you to update the data links [sic].. simply say yes and it's done. your historica data will be inputed and all calculations will immediately be refreshed. that's all you ever have to do... dump new csv exports into directory, and open the program, then read the input/output worksheet.

if oyu want to excludes some year's data, just go remove it from worksheet table -- again, never touch the batting, fielding or pitching worksheets. the other thread has instrucitons on how to shift the starting point of data table on "worksheet" worksheet, and how to resize it to any # of years you want. (it only fills with data, so 100rows and 10 years is no problem.. .but if oyu have 1000years, the the table must be expanded, and re-filled down. instructions in other thread and google.)

EDIT:

so, i previously used openoffice calc and now have switched to libreoffice just this week for better conditional formatting options due to other spreadsheets i have made and use... it's a bit different defaults, so i want to show this snapshot:

as you can see thre is a mesasge at top that auto-updating is disabled in this spreadsheet -- default that i did not knwo and idfferent than my openoffice calc. i will have to enable this option with the button that is visible, then each time i load in future it will always ask to update.

even though slightly different, google will get you through this if what i say above doesn't match excel or libreoffice calc.

obviously read-only mode is definitely not conducive to using this spreadsheet, lol, i have to ensure that is fixed too. best to use openoffice calc for least problems, lol... if i fix it i'll re-up... i haven't started on a serious XXleague, yet. but, i will use the spreadsheet to make some LTM at some point.
Attached Images

Last edited by NoOne; 04-04-2019 at 02:07 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote