Thread: Exit Velocity?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #64
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
More data doesn't always mean meaningful data that tells us new things. Radar guns put numbers on things. It will tell us how fast Jordan Hicks throws, not that he throws fast.
But there is a difference between 99 and 104, which are both fast.

I've read this entire thread and I think your point has been lost. Tell me if I'm wrong, but you don't like exit velocity included in historical games because it wasn't part of the game back then. That argument certainly holds weight.

The second part of your argument, that I tend to agree with, is that we don't know what exit velocity tells us WITHIN THE CONFINES OF OOTP. We know for a fact that pitch speed is simply cosmetic and does not have an effect on the outcome of a pitch or an at bat. So how do we know exit velocity is more meaningful than that? I haven't seen the developers answer that question, but I haven't been nearly as tuned into the the boards as I have in previous years. If they have answered that question, can someone please link to that thread?

You're right that exit velocity doesn't tell us anything we don't already know. However, it helps us track what we already know to a more precise degree and more easily. So if it does have an actual effect on gameplay, then it's a good addition. If it's purely cosmetic (like pitch speed), it's a waste of time, IMO.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote