View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

We Majors: A year with the Orlando Solar Bears' Boogie Barnett

When the first AAA ownership group expressed their desire to exit the affiliate system and create their own professional baseball association, the MLB league office put out a statement calling the declaration heresy. In total, 27 of the 30 MLB team ownership groups took to local (and in some cases, national) radio and TV to decry the idea. In Nashville there was a parade. It was hastily put together, poorly organized, and was never formally named. There was at least, by my count, 7 different flavors of cotton candy available at said parade. I tried 6 of them. Of those I tried, cucumber melon was my favorite.

The second AAA ownership group that expressed a desire to exit the affiliate system did so during a mid-game interview between their New Orleans franchise and Nashville. They were down 9-0. It was picked up by MLB tonight and quickly put to rest by a forceful rebuttal that it would never come to fruition by Harold Reynolds. The citizens of New Orleans seized on the opportunity to throw a parade. I’m told they had nine flavors of cotton candy available for a small sum to attendees with money to burn. A young woman from Lafayette posted a picture of the parade (specifically that of a float designed to look like a toad playing a trumpet with the hashtag #pinacoladacottoncandy). I’ve been unable to verify that they, in fact, did have pina colada flavored cotton candy available for sale through any of my sources.

Three months later, when a fledgling OTT live sports network, with nebulous corporate backing, expressed its desire to form its own regional professional baseball association, politicians, on behalf of the lobbying arm of the MLB Commissioners Office, declared that it was illegal to do so. Politico carried a story about a bill being proposed in the Senate that would ban the sale of cotton candy to minors (seemingly a move against spontaneous parading).

When said fledgling OTT live sports network announced that, after a phenomenally successful round of funding, they would start a new professional baseball league, dubbed the ‘We Major League’, with exclusive broadcast coverage available via their subscription service all the naysayers were forced to eat their words. Harold Reynolds was invited to all the parades. He was made the unofficial official ambassador of cotton confectionaries.

THIS IS HOW THESE THINGS START
First, it’s an idea. Completely innocuous when taken at face value and then dismissed once it is ripped from limb to limb by the naysayers. Those hateful haters. Second, it’s an idea that gets seconded. Again dismissed, but it’s begun to germinate. It’s out there, waiting to take root. Third, an entity with nebulous financial backing expresses interest. They are serious. Politicians start saber-rattling. They get overzealous, spread themselves too thin, and divisions among caucus members over the verbiage included in a bill that aims to ban the sale of cotton candy to minors reveals a foundation in need of masonry. Fourth, someone, or group of someone’s, who are among the first to reach trillionaire status, decide to invest. Because they can. Because they are bored. Because they have fond memories of a childhood spent at the ballpark. Of hotdogs. Fizzy pop. And, cotton candy (probably blue raspberry flavored).

League Notes:
Name: We Major League (WML; We Majors)
Sub-Leagues: 2 (Democratic League / Republic League)
Teams: 16 (8 per league; 2 divisions per league)
Games: 78 (12 X in Division, 6x remaining teams in SL, 3x (H or A) 8 teams from the other SL). All games played Friday-Sunday. If you are interested in this schedule, click here: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...92#post2828623
Playoffs: 8 Teams total, top 2 from each division, 3 rounds, all set at 7 games (2H-3A-2H).
Universe: I created (or edited really) a region in the default database to include only the states where the WML teams are located, so the player pool (I turned foreigners off) comes exclusively from the region. In retrospect, I should have included some of the surrounding states to compensate for any curious geographic gaps, but I didn’t. So, we move forward (never straight).

We Majors was formed in 2020. I have played through 24 fun-filled seasons, with this ‘dynasty’ focusing on our silver jubilee season. Specifically, on my favorite franchise in the game world, the Orlando Solar Bears (logo/identity cribbed from a minor league hockey team), and, even more specifically, on their #1 starter (and #1 pitching prospect in the WML), Boogie Barnett.

A local Orlando newsweekly, published each Tuesday, has hired Boogie to produce a blog as a companion piece to their semi-comprehensive coverage of the WML and their hometown club. It should go without saying that Boogie, as a starting pitcher, watches a lot more baseball than he plays. Some other tidbits about our boy Boogie… he’s preoccupied with migas (it’s his favorite food and he will not take the mound before he’s had a plate/bowl of it), he likes to talk smack about the towns he plays in and the players he plays against, and he, for the last two seasons at least, has been mired in a musical funk where nothing outside of 70’s rock, hardcore punk, and freak folk music sounds appealing to his ears. He will talk about these things. A lot. But he will also deliver some news around the league, insider information, slightly humorous stories, and, may also deliver the occasional box score.

Attachments:
WM Standings (Day One) – just so you can see the teams…
WAAA Standing (from the end of last season… the Rainbow Bears won it all)…
24 year history index of the WML
Boogie Barnett - Player Profile
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by pauwoo; 02-21-2019 at 11:45 PM.
pauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote