View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
BigBoyBrackey
All Star Reserve

Shoulda' but Didna' -- Great Fights That Never Were

Reading the thread in general discussions about the cancellation of Valuev-Chagaev and subsequent pairing of Wlad Klitschko and the sporting world's most famous hepatitis sufferer got me thinking about how far things have fallen.

Imagine, the lineal heavyweight title being filled for the first time in four years, and the fight is on second-tier cable television.

Not that the general American public missed a whole lot today. Like most of Wlad's recent fights, his pummeling of Chagaev lacked much in the way of drama. Even the ending was anti-climactic, with the referee waving it off between rounds and the WBA champion-in-recess, or whatever he's called, not exactly flying off his stool in protest. Making it more aggravating is the reality that the most intriguing matchup out there will never take place -- Klitschko v. Klitschko.

Which brings us to the point. The ability to produce matchups that never occurred, be it due to timing, economics or the time-space continuum first drew me to Data Boxing (and APBA Football, Strat-o-matic Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey and the highly underrated Extra Innings Baseball) as a kid.

I've got a couple of other threads going, each of which has the potential to carry on until the Internet becomes obsolete. So this will be a home for occasional one-off superfights of every color. I'm going to start with the Klitschkos finally dispensing with the brotherly affection, with future bouts like:

---Hagler v. Leonard when it should have happened, in the early '80s, and would have if not for the Sugared One's detached retina, and other too-long-delayed tilts like Tyson-Holyfield (1991-92)

---Foreman v. Shavers at the mid-70s peak of each atomic slugger's destructive power.

---Would Frazier have fared any better against Liston than Foreman?

---Marciano against a peak Joe Louis?

---The real Sugar Ray against Archie Moore?

---Immediate rematches that weren't, like Chavez-Taylor II six months, instead of four years, later (and, while we're at it, Chavez-Whitaker II, ever) and Lewis-V. Klitschko II.

At least to start with, I'm going to try to keep this to pairings that could have actually occurred, meaning their careers overlapped. Peak periods may be adjusted, as in the Marciano-Louis example above. Or, maybe a pre-prime Rock against a post-prime Joe ... once again, the possibilities are infinite.

After Klitschko v. Klitschko, each matchup will be posted in advance, with plenty of pre-fight hype -- real and imagined. Predictions and other commentary is strongly encouraged.

And, of course, if you have any requests, please post them as well.
BigBoyBrackey is offline   Reply With Quote