View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 04:07 AM   #48
UKBaseballfan
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Facepack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaodyssey View Post
Agreed, there have been a lot of significant player finds in the last year that need to be added. Last year I went through a lot of the Facepack and sent Scott numerous upgrades.

My personal preference is that the player is featured on the team he played the most games with, if possible. I also favor original, non-colorized images as they are more true historically. Lastly, I typically do not use "cap swaps" for the Facepack images.

This may be an endeavor that could unite the interests of this site. It has been fractured with individual projects for the last few years.
I agree with Krantzbucks viewpoint that it would be beneficial to consider integrating the Pegasus and Main facepack. It has been some time since the facepack was upgraded but even longer since I have seen an update to the Pegasus facepack. I would add 'Major League' team to the phrase 'team that took the field'. However for 19th Century images the best image or indeed only image may be for a Minor League team.

I very much agree that if you show just one image it should be in the team that the player represented most often in the Major Leagues.

My viewpoint is as follows on color. Basically an image is a combination of 2 elements, it shows a player and it shows the team being represented. A black and white version of a team's uniform is not in my opinion a true historical representation. The teams colors is a vital intergral part of the uniform and when shown to me it brings the image alive and more representative. There are a host of highly skilled colorizers who with this objective in mind have produced magnificent enhancements to black and white images. I know Pegasus has updated his viewpoint on this topic and now considers realistic color images. It has always been my view that a black and white image is an image altered by technological restrictions. Again compromises may be available in terms of including black and white and color images or 2 alternate facepacks. I marvel at the quality of work produced by Matt Fulling, Ortforshort, Bill, Sal, Ctrane, Don Stokes , Ars Longa, etc. and there are other facebook sites that are devoted to the colorizing of historical images.

I do believe that a guideline should be in all other respects that the image should be an actual image.

We are here talking about guidelines not hard and fast rules or laws and there will always be the case where the guideline for very good reasons should be overlooked.

Another approach that I think should be considered is that undertaken by Ceej to produce yearly facepacks.

As one who has been a contributor for over a decade I would very much like to see a return to the basic philosophy of the original thread. Every contributor's post was a suggestion as an addition or upgrade to the image in either the main or Pegasus facepack. The approach was everybody working towards the same goal rather than as said fracturing by personal projects. There is a place for requests and personal projects but that should I believe always be subservient to the main objective.

Last edited by UKBaseballfan; 07-03-2018 at 04:29 AM.
UKBaseballfan is offline   Reply With Quote