View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 11:52 PM   #16
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

June 4, 1984

Before a series in St. Louis, let’s take some stock. We’re 23-30, 7.5 in back of the first-place Mets. We’re not out of it by any means, but there are a bunch of teams to jump, and we weren’t necessarily aiming at winning the East this season. So, I’d like to start thinking about the trade deadline.

If Giles and I both think we can contend in 1985, I don’t want to trade my all-star-caliber talent, or anyone with 1.6 WAR or more, which translates to about a full season 5+ WAR (Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, John Denny, Charles Hudson). I also don’t want to trade young players of whom I have at least partial confidence (Von Hayes, Kevin Gross, Juan Samuel [though he’s an intriguing case I’ll get back to later], John Russell, Glenn Wilson [though that’s debatable]).

That leaves me with some possibilities. A few I’m thinking about unloading:
  • OF - Sixto Lezcano: He’s a free agent after this season, and while he’s putting up good numbers (.245/.388/.406), he’s not in my plans for 1985 and beyond.
  • C - Bo Diaz: Another free agent after this season. He’s been bad offensively (.223/.254/.292), and freeing him means giving Darren Daulton the stage, along with John Russell.
  • IF/OF - Greg Gross: A notable Phillie during the golden years, but he’s another soon-to-be-free-agent who some team can probably use off the bench, where he historically thrives.
  • SS - Ivan de Jesus: And one more free-agent-to-be. He’s been bad all the way around (.217/.287/.286, -8.0 ZR, 9 ERR). His departure would mean bringing up either SS Steve Jeltz or infielder Luis Aguayo. Leaning toward Jeltz, I think.
  • RP - Al Holland: He’s on board through 1985, but he wants out, and his selfishness is a lingering clubhouse issue. He’s a solid reliever (3.00 ERA, 16 K, 4 BB, 11 SV), and most contenders can use him.

I don’t know if I’ll be trading all five listed, but getting value for Lezcano and Diaz would be great. And probably moving Holland sooner rather than later might just help with the team’s morale.

I put Diaz, Lezcano, and Holland on the trading block to see if they garner interest; shopping them to other GMs netted no one-for-one opportunities, so I’ll have to be savvy.

Game 1984-54 - Busch Stadium: Cardinals 10, Phillies 0 / 23-31

It isn’t getting any easier. Dave LaPoint owns us with a three-hitter, walking just one and striking out four in a complete game. Then there’s our Jerry Koosman, who gives up seven runs on nine hits in 2.2 IP. He’s now holding a 5.95 ERA.

Let’s talk about Koosman. His current numbers: 65 IP, 5.95 ERA, 3.73 FIP, 2.3 K/BB, 3.5 K/9, 27.3% QS, -1.4 WPA. Ratings: 45 stuff, 55 movement, 55 control; 45 fastball, 45 curveball, 35 slider, 35 changeup. He’s definitely on the downside (at age 41, of course he is), and his wily guile isn’t fooling much anyone. The FIP says a better pitcher is there (I can’t imagine my pourous defense is helping him), but if Lefty and Denny and Gross and Hudson are all performing well, what’s Koosman’s excuse?

There’s a vesting option on Koosman’s contract; if he reaches 180 IP, he gets 1985 for $700,000. The way he’s pitching, I don’t want him getting there. I’m not sure I want to (or can) trade him, but I have to make some kind of decision soon - 23-year-old prospect Kelly Downs (69.1 IP, 2.86 ERA, 1.6 K/BB, 4.3 K/9; raising his control rating from 40 to 45) has done well enough in his third AAA season to warrant a promotion.

June 5, 1984

Woke up this morning to hear from Sixto Lezcano’s agent. He says Sixto is unhappy about not starting every day and demands a trade. Hey, I get it: Sixto has been one of the better performers on the team this season. But I have a lot to balance. And as I’ve said, we’re looking to trade Sixto.

That said, let’s go through the potential markets for my top trade candidates. First, catcher Bo Diaz. Here are the contenders that may need a small, in-season upgrade (at least defensively) at the position:
  • New York Mets - Clint Hurdle (43)/Mike Fitzgerald (41)
  • Seattle Mariners - Ron Tingley (45)/Dave Valle (43)
  • Milwaukee Brewers - Bill Schroeder (48)/Ted Simmons (49)

Diaz is a 45, so he’d provide only marginal improvement for the worst groups in baseball. The Mariners and Mets seem to be the only teams that work, and considering Tingley is a decent defender, it may just be New York in the running.

Let’s move to the possible market for Lezcano, who can play both left and right field:
  • Kansas City Royals - Jorge Orta (44), Jerry Hairston Jr. (45), Darryl Motley (43)
  • Pittsburgh Pirates - Lee Mazzilli (47)

Lezcano is a 47, so again, slim pickens. That said, the Royals desperately could use an upgrade in the corners, so maybe they’ll bite at Lezcano for a very small return.

Finally, the possible market for Holland, who is a 55:
  • St. Louis Cardinals - Neil Allen (52)
  • Milwaukee Brewers - Rick Waits (48)
  • Seattle Mariners - Mike Stanton (53)
  • Toronto Blue Jays - Dennis Lamp (52)

Milwaukee (6.48 ERA) and Toronto (4.45 ERA) have poor bullpens, and I’ll definitely target these clubs for a Holland trade.

Meanwhile, the seal has been broken on in-season trades: Boston has sent minor league arm Dan Gakeler to the Cubs for pitcher Dick Ruthven, who I imagine will slide into the front of that bullpen.

Game 1984-55 - Busch Stadium: Phillies 2, Cardinals 1 / 24-31

Holland nearly blows it in the ninth, but ultimately he saves a solid Kevin Gross outing (7.1 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 3 K, 1 BB). Juan Samuel and Joe Lefebvre are the offense, each hitting solo shots.

June 6, 1984

Al Holland is worth $360K this season, which makes for a challenge when trying to deal him. Toronto would take him for mediocre starter Luis Leal (46/46, 59.2 IP, 5.58 ERA, 5.49 FIP, 1.4 K/BB, 3.9 K/BB), plus a team top-35 prospect. Not great. Other options include a major league bench bat or reliever.

As for Milwaukee, I’d need to give them some cash - at least $250,000 - to make it work. I could get a decent prospect that way (pitchers Dan Plesac or Chris Bosio, or outfielder Jim Paciorek could be available), or I could get another major-league-ready reliever or bench bat, but I won’t have much cash left.

But look out for St. Louis. They have budget space, and they’re willing to take Holland for a decent prospect (one for one for pitcher Todd Worrell [40/45]). I would need a little more, but this is a start.

Turning to Lezcano, tough news from the Royals. Maybe I can score a reliever or bench bat, and prospects offered are in the team top-25 or top-30 range. It pays to wait, but both Boston and Houston might take Lezcano for a better return. Still, there’s plenty of time.

Finally, Bo Diaz. If I were to send him to the Mets, I’d need to eat salary and take on a sizeable contract, as they’re $2 million in the hole. And nothing they’re offering right now makes sense. Same is true for Seattle, who is also in the red.

I think I can make some deals here, but I’ll need to be crafty so I can get closer to a balanced budget while taking on a couple decent names.

Game 1984-56 - Busch Stadium: Cardinals 6, Phillies 5 (11) / 24-32

A 4-0 first-inning lead evaporates, and then the Cardinals win it with a walk-off single by George Hendrick. Wastes a good game from Joe Lefebvre (2-for-5, 4 RBI).

June 7, 1984

Garry Maddox is checking back in, now more upset. The outfielder wants more playing time or a trade. Considering I have a glut of outfielders better than The Secretary of Defense, and Maddox is hitting just .190/.217/.286, it’s hard to help him. That said, with Von Hayes in a minor slump (hitting .111 in June) and a doubleheader ahead, I’m going to give “Stick” (as skipper calls him) a break and let Maddox get in there a little this week.

June 8, 1984

Congratulations to Chris Chambliss. The Braves’ outfielder collects his 2,000th hit against the Dodgers. Meantime, that NL West race is something, with the Braves (31-27) a half-game behind Los Angeles (32-27). Cincinnati is trying to hang in at 3.5 back.

Today we have a twi-night doubleheader against Pittsburgh, starting at 5:05 p.m. I’ll let Hayes start game one, then I’ll go with Maddox in two, also letting him start Saturday and Sunday against lefties. I’ll probably sit Juan Samuel for one of these games, too.

Game 1984-57 - Veterans Stadium: Phillies 3, Pirates 2 (12) / 25-32

Phew. A 2-0 lead heading into the eighth goes away, but we hang in and win it late. In the 12th, Ivan de Jesus triples, then scores on Bo Diaz’s sacrifice fly. John Denny pitches well (9 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 10 K, 1 BB), and the bullpen keeps it tidy.

For game two, which is starting at 9:10 p.m., I’ll sit Mike Schmidt and Von Hayes for sure; Lefebvre moves to third, and Maddox starts in center.

Game 1984-58 - Veterans Stadium: Pirates 2, Phillies 0 / 25-33

Rick Rhoden throws a two-hitter (with nine strikeouts) against us. Maybe it’s the price I pay for not starting Schmidt and Hayes.

Meanwhile, John Denny reports some shoulder soreness after his nine-inning outing. He’ll have to sit out, and our doctors are thinking a couple weeks. First big injury of the season.

June 9, 1984

SP John Denny placed on 15-day injured list
SP Kelly Downs promoted to MLB Philadelphia

Downs pitched well enough at AAA Portland (76.2 IP, 2.93 ERA, 34 K, 23 BB, 1.5 WAR) to merit a promotion. I wanted him to improve his control, and he did just enough, as his BB/9 lowered to 2.7. Not bad. I can see him getting three to four starts in Philly, taking us to July 1, at which point I’ll have some decisions to make. Essentially, it’s a good pseudo deadline to put on Jerry Koosman.

Meanwhile, a scouting report on Downs: The 23-year-old is a sidearmer at 6’3” and 195 pounds. The deceptive delivery gives him an advantage, though he’s basically an up-and-down pitcher who can get tagged. His curve (50/50) is his best pitch, and he’s improved his fastball command, making for a better pitch that tops out at 90 mph (45/50). He carries an average changeup (45/45), as well. Having three solid if unspectacular pitches means Downs can probably hang against much of the league, at least twice around an order. To me he profiles as a back-end type, maybe a mid-rotation starter if, say, the curve gets better or he develops a fourth pitch.

Shaking up the lineup a little tonight by letting Sixto Lezcano lead off and moving Glenn Wilson to the three-hole, hoping to light a fire under his butt (also, maybe hitting ahead of Mike Schmidt will help him get some beach balls to smack).

Game 1984-59 - Veterans Stadium: Phillies 6, Pirates 5 / 26-33

We score five runs in our final three turns at bat. Koosman goes six and though he’s tagged for four runs, none are earned (somehow Schmidt commits two errors, raising his season total to 10). Lezcano goes 0-fer out of the leadoff spot, while Wilson has a hit in the three-hole.

June 10, 1984

Game 1984-60 - Veterans Stadium: Pirates 8, Phillies 3 / 26-34

It's close until the seventh, and then the Buccos pull away. Wilson picks up three hits, while Samuel socks his fourth homer.

The newest set of rankings are in! And we’re … 21st. The top-five:

1. Toronto Blue Jays - 42-19
2. Detroit Tigers - 38-20
3. Kansas City Royals - 35-24
4. Montreal Expos - 34-27
5. New York Mets - 33-25

Can we just watch the AL East from now on? The Blue Jays are unbelievable - led by Tony Fernandez and Jesse Barfield, each at 3.5 WAR - and the Tigers are somehow just 2.5 back, trying to stay nearby (thanks to Chet Lemon at 3.7 WAR and Kirk Gibson at 3.6 WAR). Toronto took three of four from Detroit last week at Tiger Stadium; today they begin a three-game set at SkyDome. Giddyup.

Last edited by The_Myth; 06-21-2019 at 11:35 AM.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote