View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #18
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Well...that didn't last long.

Travis' Low-A career lasted 11 games. He had a nice debut, going 2-for-3 in a game against Salem, but he struggled afterwords, slashing .212/.333/.303 in 41 plate appearances for the Vancouver Canadians before being shipped back down to Bluefield.

All of Travis' fears seemed true at this point. The Blue Jays didn't really care about his development as a player. He felt the only reason they were keeping him around was because of how hard he worked and that he was a good example for the younger prospects that they actually cared about. He was 24-years-old and moving backwards instead of forwards. He was moving back to Bluefield, a town and lifestyle he didn't enjoy. No, the Blue Jays weren't cutting him, but he kind of wished they would just get on with it.

"Maybe I should just quit," he thought to himself.

Travis was an analytical and methodical thinker. He never made rash decisions, and he was going to flesh this out. Playing professional baseball had been his dream since he was six years old, and he was living it, but minor league baseball in Bluefield, West Virginia weren't what his dreams were made of. People don't talk about the long bus rides, the bad food, the cheap hotels and motels, the small minor league towns. Minor league players aren't treated like royalty, especially in rookie ball.

Travis knew exactly who he had to call.

"What's up, Archie?"

Archie Smith coached Travis when he was little from about age 11 to age 16. Archie grew up poor and played collegiately at Texas Southern in Houston. He taught Travis how to play with aggression, how to lay it all on the line, and how to never take anything for granted, especially in baseball. While Travis stopped playing for him at age 16, they stayed close, and they looked at each other as family.

"Aye, Trav, how's it going?" his thick southern drawl easily discernible over the phone.

"Been better, to be honest...I just got sent back down to rookie ball," Travis said.

"Man, them boys stupid. If they would just give you an opportunity..." Archie's voice trailed off, but the two both knew the end of the sentence.

"Yeah...I know," the two sat in silence for a bit. "I'm thinking about quitting," Travis finished.

"You can't quit now, you've worked too hard," Archie said. "But, maybe that organization isn't for you. Maybe ask for your release and go play indy ball or something. Go where you can play every day," Archie said.

"I don't know if I want to quit on these guys like that," Travis said.

"You don't owe those guys nothin'. You've done everything they've asked, and they haven't done sh-- for you. Look out for yourself," Archie replied.

"I'll think about it," Travis said.

"Yeah...I'm tellin' you that you got the talent. Go somewhere you can play and the world will see," Archie said.

"Alright coach, catch you later," Travis replied.

"Anytime."
gskweres9 is offline   Reply With Quote