View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #80
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Remember that in 1871, the schedule is only 30 games long. You can change it to fit what you want, but you might have to make up a schedule for it. I myself, would never start before 1882 when OOTP expands to 16 teams. I remember (from past play) that expansion being pretty rough, as the league is doubling in size. Talk about watering down the talent base. My guess is you're looking for strategy settings from somewhere in the 1970's when the four man rotation (I think) was in effect, and closers (or firemen as they were known then) were just coming into prominence. David Watts might know specific timing for 3-man, 4-man and 5-man rotations better than I do, as well as holding closers to the limits you seem to want to hold them to. So...Uh...David? I use 1984 for mine, and by then closers are getting 40 and sometimes 50 saves, and that doesn't sound like what you want.

My guess is that you also want LTMs from somewhere close to where you set your strategy settings. Remember that 1871 baseball is a festival of errors because they played with no gloves and later with gloves that bear absolutely no resemblance to what we think of as a baseball glove today. If you want fewer errors, you'll need to lock your LTMs to a year when gloves were reasonably decent I would think. It might also be a good idea to tie your PCMs to the same era as well. I think it just makes sense to lock your LTMs, strategy settings, and PCMs to the same year, but you may disagree, and as to what year that is, you may have to do some experimenting to figure that out for yourself. I hope I've helped a little bit, but it is kind of trial and error until you find the right spot. I suggest going with a four man rotation because I believe three man rotations go back to the 19th century/early 20th century, and that may not be ideal for your closer folks.
I started a random league in 1871, expansion according to history and at the start of 1879 my career leader in career saves has a whopping 10.
Rosters are not a problem as they are without random debut but still you may not want a 25 man active roster if you have recalc off cause some players may not get the chance to show what they can do with less teams.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote