View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #69
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

For the 2054 season I have taken over the Indianapolis Stripes (formerly the San Diego Padres). Running through seasons and seeing how the HOF model works in practice is great fun for me, but playing OOTP is really fun, too. So, I am back at it, and the posts will be less frequent...until I get fired, of course.

Not that this affects the outcome of anything in the HOF to any degree, but this is how I select what team I take:

I determined I would pick up a team in 2054, so I exited Commish mode at the start of 2053 and would have the game stop if I received a personal message. If I had received an offer from either the Diamondbacks or Rockies, I would have accepted it at the time offered, since those were the teams I had previously managed. No offer from either came in.

At the beginning of the off-season I received several offers, none from Arizona or Colorado. I summed the fan interest of all the teams offering jobs and selected a random number from that sum and took the team that had the corresponding number in the fan interest. Is just a little method I use that quickly replicates an actual in depth selection process. A GM is more likely to take a job where the fan interest is good than otherwise, but still might take a job from a low fan interest team for other reasons. So, I got the Stripes which had the second highest fan interest, but are a disaster in the talent department.

Am still in April and I have lost my top two pitchers for the season and my owner expectation is to play .500 ball (this came in before the injuries took place). I think a firing is in my near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
60 should be special and hardly ever ever happen. 70 is stupid and 80 is video game fluff. I will scrap any league that such a thing happens.
David, I totally get what you are saying here. My response here is not to be taken in any way as a disagreement with your personal preference or a judgment on how you should view things (I honestly don't think I needed to offer that caveat to you, specifically, but in the context of recent board discussions I want to make it clear to any and all readers that this is NOT my intent here, or elsewhere).

I mulled over your take and a couple things came to mind:

1) As I mentioned before, the point of this exercise is to see how the model works under various conditions. Though I do not have an extreme fictional league construct with moon gravity, or anything like that, the model should function under those circumstances, still. I don't take your post as saying my league is hosed because Stargell hit 89 HRs and I should react defensively to what you say. I am not.

89 is the record here, and that is fine for what I am doing. If 89 were to be what 61 was for 30 years, that would be fine. If 89 were to be what 50 was for 30 years after 1961, that would be fine, too, for this exercise. I am documenting what the results are, not judging the actual results (I do make comments and judgments on the HOF entries, however, and with those anyone is free to disagree with me on their merit. For the record, I have been very pleased with that output.).

2) I thought, "What if computers and baseball simulations were what they are now 100 years ago?"

Would someone say that hitting 40 HRs should never ever happen?

Again, not saying you are wrong in holding your sentiment re 80 being video game stuff, but there will be a player that hits 80 HR. It will probably happen when the game evolves to a point where even the 'weakest' hitter with 500 PAs gets 20 HR. What the game looks like today is unfathomable to someone who took the trolley to the park 100 years ago. What it looked like in 1963 was no less inconceivable. What the game will look like in 2063 is probably something equally foreign.

As the game changes it challenges fans and, what is attempted to be modeled here, the HOF voters, to accurately judge what constitutes a great player worthy of enshrinement when 500 HRs or 3000 strikeouts do not mean the same thing that they did in times past.

I am not saying that OOTP will accurately foresee the future environment of baseball. That is simply impossible. What I hope to do here is provide a mechanism for HOF selection that will work in any environment from the past, the present environment, and any environment in the future. If the future environment is like a video game or a return to a dead ball era, the model should work in either case.

Respectfully Submitted,
The Likes of Me

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 07-07-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: a couple clean-ups
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote