View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #56
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Class of 2038 (1966): Kiner

This may be the single most interesting inductee I have done.

I had 5 FBS candidates, and I figured one of them would get in on the FBS. It didn't happen. They will all get in, in time, but not on the First Ballot Standard.

Ralph Kiner had a short wait. He retired in 2028 and became eligible in 2034. I thought he might have been a First Balloter, but he didn't make it.

He is easily deserving with his 541 HRs. The extraordinary part of this starts with the fact that he played in only 14 seasons, having been picked 9th by the Phillies in 2014, and having only 6006 ABs. That's a career AB/HR rate of 11.1.

It gets better as Kiner is the only player in league history to hit OVER 70 HRs a season three different times. He led the league 3 times in HRs (and RBI) and it was each of those three seasons (for both). He hit 82/163, 78/179, and 71/165 HR/RBI in those seasons. He is one of 5 players to hit 80, or more HRs in a season, and the second to be inducted. His 82 is the fourth highest total in league history. Willie McCovey's 89 and 83 are the top 2. McCovey also hit 70, but Kiner is the only player to hit OVER 70 three times.

Kiner hit his 82 in 2017, but did not win league MVP. Ty Cobb's .417 BA took home the hardware. 2017 was the first of three consecutive seasons Kiner had a npa OPS+ over 200.

This is what I found fascinating: In 2018 Kiner smacked 42 HRs in 138 games...injured...I THOUGHT. Nope...no injuries...42 HRs in 293 ABs...less than 7 ABs per HR, and he was having trouble getting playing time!

In 2017 he played the most games of any Phillie in LF AND CF. In 2018, he did not play the most games at ANY position for the Phillies! He had played 1B previously, then Sean Casey took that job and Kiner went to the OF. Casey had a good season, but he didn't have a 200 OPS+....neither did Tito Francona who took most games in LF.

Kiner found himself the odd man out as a poor fielder on a non DH team.

The Phillies dealt Casey that off-season and Kiner moved to first and in 2019 had his 78 HR season, and this time won the MVP, but it was his only trophy, of that type.

His contact rating had dropped according to OSA in 2018, and maybe the team was slanted to heavily favor BA, I don't know, but Kiner was a monster in his prime and the Phillies limited his playing time. Maybe that's why they finished 24 games back (but in second place!).

For his career he slashed 270/364/578 for a manly npa OPS+ of 157. Sure he played in CB Park, but he was mashing like few ever mashed.

His 541 HRs or 28th best All Time. He is two ahead of Fred McGriff, who played 18 years. He is three ahead of Yaz, who played 22 seasons.

His 1271 RBI ranks him 86th, one behind Buck Ewing who played 17 seasons.

I do love the Gorilla Composite that has come from this exercise, but Kiner's entry is in stark contrast to Jesse Burkett's (previously discussed) and both are completely legitimate. There is no one standard for the RL HOF and there isn't a particular type of player that gets in on the basis of singular criteria or even a composite score.

I am really really liking how this model is working. So what if Kiner had only 1621 hits (a number that exceeds his strikeouts by only 64 which means he did strikeout once every 4 ABs)? He deserves to be in the Hall. And in keeping with RL tradition, he did not get in on the First Ballot. That players have criteria that is set by their peers, not by the user, per se, for entry into the HOF and that entry is more than just a one time check for stats breaking a threshold makes for a very pleasing Hall process.

Kiner enters by virtue of his Black Ink number exceeding the Hall average (just as he would have in RL if this method was used...oh, the irony).

Kiner is the 21st RL HOFer to join the newly remodeled tractor shed.

Black Ink: 36 (52)
Gray Ink: 95 (145)
HOFm: 156.5 (136)
HOFs: 36 (34)

Gorilla Composite: 3.8 (4.5)
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote