View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #49
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Chart

The next class is a large one, so it may be a day or so before I complete it. Starting with the McCovey induction, 8 of the last 10 entrants have been on the first ballot. Collectively they have raised the GC average for the entire Hall from 3.6 to 3.9. I didn't think this increase would happen as quickly as it did.

This illustrates the "self-correcting" aspect of this model. Lower scoring entrants bring down the standards which make it easier for FB entrants which raise the standards back up. If the HOF gets populated with a lot of monster careers early, then the dynamics call for leaderboard entrants who, generally, bring down the numeric standards making it easier for FB entrants, who raise the standards..and so on and so on.

I described in the previous thread the idea of each entry plot having "gravity." The more plots that are lower, the more they pull in lower scores. The recent clump of entrants gives a visual that one can imagine as representing the idea that with these players entering at higher levels, they will cause the selection of future entrants to be higher. If the standards get too high, we will see floor breakers which will place lower and by their entrance in the HOF, make for entrants that are comparable to their own careers.
Attached Images

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 03-04-2013 at 08:13 AM.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote