View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #64
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Class of 1974, Pitchers: Baker

This class is the half way point between 1936 and 2012. With the three hitters and one pitcher joining, the Hall now has 116 members. If there is validity to this method, I should wind up with totals in the 4 categories that are similar to the RL HOF numbers.

At this point, the averages for each category per entrant is (RL ave 1.0 for each):

Black Ink: 1.22
Gray Ink: 1.29
HOFm: 1.60
HOFs: 0.96

Due to expansion, I expect the Black and Gray Ink to continue downward. Due to expansion and a 162 game schedule, I expect the HOFs number to go up.

The HOFm number is surprising. IRL, Stan Musial's 454 is the highest ever. Here it has been exceeded by Cobb, Shoeless Joe, Speaker, and Frank Robinson (Cobb and Jackson by a lot). I don't see this number getting close to 1.0. With 162 games and expanded play-offs, there will be more points available to be had. In a vacuum I would expect this number to go up. But with the figure sitting at 1.6, I don't see this level being maintained.

I am not certain of any of this...that is why the games are played....

------------

Norm Baker is another RL 19th century pitcher who was treated well by the development engine once his real data was exhausted.

A second rd draft pick in 1920, he made his debut in 1922. Retiring in 1940, he posted a career record of 231-206 (with 13 saves) and an OOTP ERA of 3.66 (npa ERA+ of 113).

Baker becomes the first pitcher to enter the Hall with more walks than strikeouts. He struck out 1339 and walked 1510. The Saberheads are having a complete tantrum over this.

In 1929, Baker won the CYA going 28-8 and posting a npa ERA+ 155 2.79 OOTP ERA. He struck out 95 and walked 104 in 328 2/3 innings.

In 1928 and 1929 he was on a Brookly Dodger team that repeated as WS champs. Fellow HOFers Babe Herman, harry Kelley, Joe Torre and Bill White were also on those teams.

Baker gets in on the Veteran Standard.

Black Ink: 26
Gray Ink: 137
HOFm: 86
HOFs: 25

--------------

At the halfway point the chart of the HOFer's composite cores clearly shows the new floor that has been established. An approximate dividing point is at the 70th entry. Prior to that the floor was around the 4 line. Now we see it slightly above the 2 line.

A 4 is the average score for the RL Hall. The model has, to this point, replicated the declining standards of the RL Hall.
Attached Images

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 11-02-2012 at 09:17 PM.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote