View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Class of 1948: Strawberry, Vaughn

Darryl Strawberry was the only player to retire in 1946 that the program deemed worthy of induction. He got top priority for an initial screening and his numbers were above the Hall averages across the board, so he becomes a first-ballot inductee.

Strawberry enters the Hall with 409 HRs, a .524 slg%, and a career OPS of .910, all Hall bests. The only players with better totals are still active. Strawberry enters the Hall 3rd on the all time HR list (no one has yet to hit 500).

He batted .303 and got on base at a .386 clip. Debuting in 1928, he led the league in HRs in each of his first EIGHT seasons. He appeared in 3 ASGs, won 2 GGs, and one WS. Once again, I love the "What might have been" aspect of this game.

Black Ink 57 (7)
Gray Ink 220 (100)
HOFm 178 (56)
HOFs 58 (30)

ADD: Strawberry, as did Babe Herman, hit for the cycle twice in the same season, something never done in real life. He also hit for a 3rd cycle in his career, something no real player has done.

ADD: Strawberry hit 45 HRs in 1935. This is the current single season record.

-----------------

I have to watch what I write as side comments. I mention sub .500 pitchers, *bam*, I get two in. I mention Hippo Vaughn, *bam*, his name sorts to the top of the spreadsheet randomization and he gets in.

Illustrating the dynamic nature of the Hall process, Vaughn's composites are very similar to Strawberry's, when the hitter/pitcher normalization is applied. When the Hall only had 5 members, the standards were much higher as entry was based on comparisons to those in. Tris Speaker is still the most dominant player in the Hall. Charlie Ferguson the most dominant pitcher. In order to get in on first Ballot, you had to approach those numbers. Kauff and Lajoie also posted similarly, but not as, dominant Hall stats, so their early entry kept the standards high before the mass inductions of 1945 and 1946.

Had Vaughn retired in 1946, he would have been a first balloter. Times change and Hall Standards change.

From 1895 to 1916, Vaughn won 390 games (3rd All-Time) vs 238 losses while posting an OOTP ERA of 2.44. No pitcher, other than inaugural class inductee Cozy Dolan, with 10 yrs of service has a better winning percentage than Vaughn's .610. For over 600 decisions, that is simply amazing.

Yes, he pitched on good teams. He went to 9 WS and won 5. He and fellow HOFer David Wells were a legendary 1-2 punch for those Phillie teams.

He won 3 CYA and went to 3 All Star games.

Black 44 (27)
Gray 396 (155)
HOFm 242.5 (90)
HOFs 69 (36)

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 09-27-2012 at 03:12 PM.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote