View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #38
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
Dunlap's OPS+ for eight years in the NL was 119, for his year in the AA it was 98, for his year in the UA it was 256, severely distorting all of the stats you listed in the above post. 119 is solid regular territory.

But my point is that the UA competition is not worthy of being called major league. Only Dunlap's St. Louis team bore even the slightest resemblance to a major league club.
My point still stands. Even a 119 OPS+ is HoF territory when you combine excellent defense at an up the middle position with it. Or are Roberto Alomar (116 OPS+), Ryne Sandberg (114 OPS+), Frankie Frisch (110 OPS+), and Craig Biggio (112 OPS+) merely solid regulars? Even the great Charlie Gehringer, probably the 5th greatest 2B of all-time only had a 124 OPS+. Then there are the ridiculous oversights like Lou Whitaker (117 OPS+), Bobby Grich (125 OPS+), and currently Jeff Kent (123 OPS+ with much worse defense than Dunlap).

I'm not saying Dunlap should be in the HoF. His career is far too short for that, as it sadly ended as a result of a broken leg incurred while sliding into a base in his age 32 season. But he was far more than just a solid regular, and he reportedly played excellent defense without the use of a glove. One of his nicknames was "King of Second Basemen" for cryin' out loud.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote