View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #6
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
B) A more careful examination of the reward structure within a tournament. I know this is beta and the rewards are mostly placeholders, but it's something worth repeating as an important priority. For example, you don't want the 2nd prize (e.g. 3k PP) being more desirable than the top prize (5 regular packs).
Huh? In which world are 3k PP more worth than 5 packs, which cost 5k PP?

Quote:
C) There should also be a proper scaling of prizes with card rarity. Gold tournaments should reward more PP/packs/cards than silvers, which should reward more than bronze, etc. Why would I enter a gold 16 player tourney with a 500 PP 1st prize when I can just enter into silver and make 2kPP instead? It's not going to happen.

D) The types of awards at each tier should match the type of player who is entering it.
--Diamond/open tournaments should be huge pools, in general, with chaser rewards. Maybe you can run some 16-size brackets for packs or PP or something as practice, but people at these levels are looking for cards or glory, not really meager amounts of PP
I disagree. Why should someone who most likely spent a lot of $$ have a far better reward output than one whop did not (and who has no chance of winning that particular tournament)? Tournament rewards should solely be based on length of tournament (which equals the chance of winning).

But then again, this is just my personal opinion. We will debate this internally

Quote:
Finally, just as a general comment, I'll add that coming from other eSports like Magic, Hearthstone, and Madden, the most fun I ever had playing was in the "championship invitational"-style events where you earn a berth to an exclusive tournament (or points on a global ladder, etc.) by winning one or more qualifiers (possibly in different formats). It's awesome to play in a high-stakes event against other accomplished people for a shot at an insane award and/or glory. Tournaments can serve as a completely alternative way to play PT rather than as a supplement to the existing relegation ladder, and I think that's the most promising use-case available here.
Qualifying tournaments are part of the system, we will add them (and the big events which you can qualify for) either later this year or in PT21.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 11-13-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote