View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #23
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #12

Boston vs. Washington: June 27-30, 1928
In a rare start CF Junior Marrero did something pretty special in the game against Washington today. Marrero tied a club record by hitting triples in both the 3rd and 6th innings off of Washington pitching. Starter Jack Holland provided eight strong innings of work allowing three earned runs in the win. For Boston, it would be their third consecutive win. 10-3 Win. (39-33)

Game two was a case of both teams providing plenty of hits but very few runs overall. Both squads had 14 hits in the game but the game was tied at two after nine innings of play. With Boston’s perfect extra inning record on the line Dode jefferis and Wilbur Laramee shut down the Washington offense from the 10th to the 12th innings. In the bottom half of the inning Homer Krajewski led the inning off with a single to left. Frank Todd followed with an attempt at a sacrifice bunt but was able to beat it out putting runners at first and second. Bob Scholer was the next man to attempt a bunt but he popped it up on the infield for an easy out. Krajewski and Todd each moved up a base on a passed ball which would not have mattered since the batter Jake Duke drew a walk. Tom Tucker went down swinging for the second out bringing up backup catcher Alfred Cass. Cass didn’t have to do much but stand there as he drew a game winning walk to send the Minutemen home victorious. 3-2 Win. (40-33)

Boston was looking to push the winning streak to five with a sweep against the Eagles in the series finale. Boston hurler Dick Alexander gave all he had and held the Eagles to two earned through nine. Unfortunately for Alexander he wouldn’t factor into the decision as the Boston offense could only score a pair of runs themselves. With the game going to extra innings for the second straight day Boston 3B Charlie Barry took matters into his own hands. In the bottom of the 10th with a runner on because of an error, Barry launched a 1-1 pitch into the left field stands for his career high ninth home run in a season. Boston fans were jubilant after a second walk off win in two days. 4-2 Win. (41-33)

Boston vs. Philadelphia: June 30th, 1928
This game was a makeup for an earlier rainout against the Keystones. Bill Jenkins had his best start in a while but it was still not a very solid performance. Jenkins gave up four earned on nine hits over 8.1 innings of work. The offense did what they can with a late rally but they just fell short snapping the teams winning streak. 5-3 Loss. (41-34)

Boston @ Washington: July 1st, 1928
As the Minutemen closed the door on June with a loss they were looking to get right back on the winning train in a quick one game makeup in Washington before the team headed to Pittsburgh for five. This game was all Boston. Ray Allen earned his second win of the year with a complete game three hit shutout. Offensively, the Minutemen bounced the offerings from Washington starter Harry Horn all over the yard. This one was decided early as many fans headed toward the exits rather than watch their Eagles get beat in such a manner. 8-0 Win. (42-34)

GM’s Desk: July 2nd, 1928:
It was a real nice 4-1 week for us. We closed June with a 16-9 record and have started July off on the right foot. This team has found a way to stick around in a way I had not predicted. We are sitting in third place eight games over .500 and 3.5 back. It will still be difficult to catch the two teams ahead of us with the offenses they feature, but I really like the effort. Glenn Tweed comes off the IL and presents an interesting conundrum as everybody in the outfield right now is performing at a high level. Tweed can really only play RF so Jake Duke would be the odd man out but he is playing so well that I can’t take him out of the lineup. Ultimately, this is a good problem to have. I am ready to make some roster moves anyway so here is how this will play out. 34 year old AAA catcher Freddie Knauer has been released. Knauer was drafted 14th overall back in 1913. He has spent the duration of his career in the minor leagues. He may catch on as a coach somewhere down the line, but his time in our organization as a player is over. 25 year old Red Rapp will be promoted from AA and take the reigns as the starting catcher in Denver. I don’t have anyone that can replace Rapp at Single A so we are going to send our 7th round pick from last year's draft, Bobby Gentry, up to AA. Gentry has been great at short-A hitting .339. His defense is slowly coming along so we are going to make the move now. We are also going to say goodbye to 25 year old LF Nellie Eames. This young man has great leadership skills but cannot get on the field. Our 6th round pick Mike Cifelli has been really good in Arlington and I want to see how he does with a promotion. We signed Howard Patterson about a month ago but he hasn’t been able to crack the lineup. We are going to release him which will give me the roster spot to send Tweed to Denver to get some playing time in a rehab stint. Over the last few hours we have been fielding some calls from various clubs trying to work a deal. Although nothing materialized from these preliminary discussions the lines of communication have been established.
Attached Images

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is online now   Reply With Quote