View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #9
Number4
Major Leagues

Starting catcher
Backup catcher / starting 1B/DH (weak glove, strong bat catcher, preferably at 1st)
Platoon starting lefty 1B/DH, backup/platoon starting/pinch hitting righty 1B/DH
IF/IF/lefty platoon starter IF, righty backup/platoon starter IF. Enough positional flexibilty to cover any one of the starting IF going down.

OF/OF/lefty platoon starter OF, righty backup/platoon OF. Again so that any one injury lets the 3 others play all 3 positions.

Backup IF/OF needs to include one capable PR.

12 position players.

5 starters, 1 CL, 1-2 setup, 2-4 MR, 1-2 LR, 7 RP in total, closer included. One of the relievers is a possible spot starter.

12 pitchers

One utility slot: Either another C, an IF/OF to beef up when one is day to day/ short term injured, or a 13th pitcher, especially following a long bullpen outing. Or one dedicated, fast af PR if both everyone is healthy and BP is rested.

That means, 4/5 days my starting catcher is starting, 1/5 he is replaced by the bat first catcher while the backup 1B/DH slots into the lineup.

Bat of the bat first catcher with only occasional catching should be in the lineup 162 games, while I still use his catching ability.

1B/DH doesn't need much rest, but a backup 1B/DH is also a strong PH.

Other position platooning means my bench guys do something productive, while my starters get occasional rest. And if a starter goes down, a righty backup is on hand.