View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #35
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
I know what pitch framing is and how it's used in various metrics IN REAL LIFE. I have never once denied that it's an important metric for measuring a catcher's defensive value.

My point (which Matt clarified) has always been that there are no pitch locations in OOTP that are useful enough to make measuring pitch framing in OOTP a worthwhile endeavor. What you think is happening in the game actually isn't. I explained it every way I could, but apparently I'm not very good at explaining it. Hopefully Matt's post puts this to rest.
What's happening in the game is that catcher skill rating affects things that are primarily considered part of pitching - walk and strikeout rates.

There's no way, I don't think, for the user to measure this impact in a real game, only through tests like Argonaut did.

The developers could certainly create some stat that reflects how catcher skill impacts run prevention in OOTP.

We can see how defense ratings for other positions impact run prevention through zone rating. But there's nothing comparable for catchers
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote