View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #22
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
I know historical mode isn't the biggest focus for OOTPD. But even if pitch framing disappears via an electronic strike zone (there's still gamecalling then, but I digress)... framing will still be a factor for any historical game in OOTP. It affects things like the Hall of Fame, which I'm interested in. My Jim Sundberg in my dynasty doesn't have eye-popping WAR totals so I'm sure he won't get in, but what if he's really added a lot more value than the game thinks, because he is a defensive catcher?
But pitch framing wasn't measured by any analytics until the last decade, and game calling is not quantified in any way by current analytics (although it obviously helps things like catcher ERA).

I get your point that OOTP is not rewarding catchers in the WAR statistic for their defensive contributions. I'm just not sure pitch framing and "game calling" are the right factors to look at. For instance, Sundberg put up 25.3 dWAR (per Baseball-Reference) while playing in an era that didn't track pitch framing. So what did he do to earn that 25.3 dWAR, and are those things currently used by OOTP to give defensive value to catchers?
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote