View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #47
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Right. They used a guy named Leo Kiley for a. 20 appearances the entire year, and b. he still averaged more than an inning per appearance. Elliott also lasted one year as a manager and his ideas really weren't pushed forward by anyone else, so calling 1960 the "birthplace" of the LOOGY is more interesting as a source of trivia than pointing to where this trend actually started (and even at that I'd probably point to Bill Henry in '65 as the first "true" LOOGY).

The kinds of LOOGYs we think about today really came into being in the mid to late 80s (although not, as I thought, as a result of the A's, at least not exactly - Tony LaRussa was clearly an innovator in this and he left the LOOGY stamp in two places in '86 - the White Sox team he was fired from in June and the A's who hired him in July - both of which would start to use them going forward). There are individual guys used in LOOGY-ish ways like Ed Vandeberg and individual seasons with guys used like this, but it wasn't the staple of everyone's 'pen until the late 80s at least.
You obviously did not read the article. It stated that there were three relievers in 1962 that qualified as such. And it was never the "staple of everyone's pen" during the time period of the article I referenced. It was more of a "slow burn" than any one defining moment, manager or year.

Quote:
Most Total LOOGY Seasons Observed, 1960-1986:

1. 10, 1986
2T. 8, 1970
2T. 8, 1971
4T. 7, 1972
4T. 7, 1976
4T. 7, 1984
4T. 6, 1985
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote