View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #69
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Topic seems to be expanding to all types of base running but for a moment let's go back to the original "out trying to stretch a single to a double" and maybe include stretching to third or home. Shouldn't we be looking at OF assists per base? Sure these aren't limited to "stretching" but also include attempts to advance on a flyball but still they are real life outs per base by OF position.

OF assists, 2019 stats I found at B-R... https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...fielding.shtml

Code:
       RF    CF    LF       Total       Per game
1B   28       8    11       47            .0096 
2B   112     78    96      286            .0588
3b    52     53    42      147            .0302
H     73     65    83      221            .0454
Total                      701            .1442
B-R defines these throws as "assists where the ball was thrown to 2b as the result of a ball in play" or of course which ever base is applicable

That would be 9.52 outs at 2b per 162 games from OF assist. Approx 1 every 17 games.

Not sure how that compares to my OOTP season but I can see where it would be easy to have a long stretch of games not seeing one. You could go 34 and then get 2 in the next 5 and not see another for a month of games.

Anyway some real life 2019 numbers to consider
The game logs actually do note runners being thrown out trying to stretch hits, so with a little work I could separate those out. I'll think about it. But here's a thread I posted with raw gamelog data from the BBA online league (fictional, with, I think standard out of the box frequency settings).

http://montybrewster.net/forums/view...p?f=23&t=30678

It includes a spreadsheet with raw numbers of runners who advance extra bases and runners who are thrown out.

It's my experience working with the developers for a considerably long time that they very much care about the granular accuracy of this kind of data--even if they are a bit preoccupied with PT these days. I suspect they will be tweaking things in this area in V21, if nothing else...but, of course, that depends on the feature schedule and whatnot. The leaps and bounds that this game has improved in over the years should not be discounted or under-stated, and the reason for that is that Markus and Matt have always cared about making things as "right" as they can.

Last edited by RonCo; 11-10-2019 at 09:46 AM.
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote