View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #64
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Another thing I've never seen: runner makes the last out at third *before* a runner scores.

Taking it for granted now that the run will count whenever the throw goes to third and a runner is coming home
I would imagine that some of the most difficult things to code "accurately" in a sim like this are the things that happen once every 500 games or more. Things like attempted double plays where the runner is out at 2nd but the throw to first is an error allowing the batter to get to 2nd. Never seen in OOTP but does happen very rarely in MLB. A walk where ball four is equivalent to a wild pitch and the batter gets to 2nd. Very rare in MLB. Never seen in OOTP. A single where the runner scores from first without an error. Fairly rare in MLB. Never seen in OOTP.

My guess is that with things like this, you run the risk of having a frequency much higher than real life. So it may come down to a decision between having it happen zero percent of the time, which isn't really that far off from something that only happens once every 1000 games, or it happens once every fifty games. I don't know programming but just from a logical viewpoint, I can see how it might take a great deal of "finesse" in how you code OOTP just to change a frequency of an event from once every thousand games to once every 100 games. Leaving some of the more rare events in MLB out of the programming for OOTP may just be out of necessity if it is very difficult to get an event's frequency down to an accuracy level that is something like +/- five events per 100,000 games.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote