View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 03:17 PM   #13
Drstrangelove
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_olaf View Post
It's not necessarily about home many innings relievers pitched in total, it's about how many innings each reliever pitches.

Is it one relievers pitching two innings or two relievers pitching an inning each?

It feel like in ootp you'd get one reliever pitching two innings and in MLB you'd get two relievers pitching an inning each.
Okay, if relievers are pitching longer on average (which is how I think you mean it), then we can deduce that with just a few numbers. Total relief games pitched and total relief innings pitched. The last post will get the second part. This post will get the first part.

1) Go to a team and choose Team History Index, History Index. Go to the most recent completed season, then examine team pitching statistics for that particular team. Check how many games pitchers pitched in (it's a subtotal.) Note this amount as "games pitched."

2) Randomly pick 5 more teams and repeat. That should now be 6 different team subtotals of games pitched.

3) Add all the "games pitched." Mine totaled 3,901. Deduct games started (teams X games per season.) In my case it was 162*6 = 972. 3,901 - 972 = 2,929 games in relief.

4) Multiply by 5. (This takes the 5 random teams get us the equivalent of 30 teams.) That's how many games I estimate (statistically) the relievers pitched. In my case, it was 14,645 games (5 x 2,929.)

In 2016, MLB actually had 15,308 reliever games. My league had 4.5 % fewer relief appearances. So it was very close to real life.

5) What are your numbers?

How many innings did relievers pitch? (see my prior post)
How many games did they relieve in? (this post)
What year was it?

Last edited by Drstrangelove; 07-27-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Drstrangelove is offline   Reply With Quote