View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #42
t-bone shuffle
All Star Reserve

It seems to me the root issue here is the game's need to produce statistical accuracy in replay mode while balancing player modeling/ability/potential in the fictional mode (which includes current season MLB rosters which become "fictional" when advancing one day).

In a replay, there's likely always the player who had a 13/1 SB/CS season, but is average or below average in measured footspeed. How do you reconcile this reasonably, particularly in a fictional setting?

The only solution I can imagine is to add a 4th rating that is strictly devoted to player footspeed. This would address the issues like a slow dribbler to the left side, or stretching a single into a double. With this type of rating, the afore mentioned Willie Mays (in his prime) would carry a rating that causes his success/safe rate to be well above league average. Boog Powell's success rate would be in the zero neighborhood. (Yes I saw them both in their prime).

Then consider that this footspeed rating would somehow need to combine/work with a "baserunning" ability to affect a "good" baserunner from a "bad" one on the various plays where both come into play.

So, a lot to ask/expect/hope for. Unfortunately not likely. Not necessarily a bad thing though, IMO.

Last edited by t-bone shuffle; 07-20-2019 at 02:58 PM.
t-bone shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote