View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #13
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
Ah ha! That's what I thought! Unfortunately, that's not what happened in OOTP.

Here's the situation: same scenario as above. I'm playing with bullpen rules.

Pitcher A finishes the top of the 6th with the game tied and he is gassed. I have pitcher B warming in the bullpen. During the bottom half of the 6th, the team takes the lead and pitcher B is ready. I know I'm going to go to him, so before the inning is over I make the pitching change; I don't want pitcher B to tire in the bullpen or cool off if I sit him.

Pitcher B starts the 7th and gets the win.
So let me get this straight: Pitcher A completes the top of the sixth. In the bottom of the sixth, your team takes the lead and you insert Pitcher B in the lineup? Why would anyone do that? You may have been the first manager in the history of baseball to have accomplished that feat. Congratulations!

Anyway, here is the relevant part of the rule:
Quote:
9.17 Winning and Losing Pitcher(a) The official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher that pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead...
So the pitcher who completes the top half of an inning gets the benefit of any runs scored by his team in the bottom half of the inning, even if he is replaced in the lineup that inning by (egads!) a relief pitcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
So.... isn't that an error in OOTP?
Well, it's an error on somebody's part, I'll give you that.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote