View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #32
ConStar
Minors (Triple A)

Francis,

One follow-up: Roster size. I'm glad you said something because this was a big drawback to the other two college games...

Pro rosters are 53 players, so that should be doable for you guys off the bat. The current NFL also has the practice squad, but there aren't many players on that (5? 10?). You could handle it like a reserve roster in OOTP.

But the big thing -- and this is major, for a college fan -- is the college roster has to be somewhere between 85-100. At the Division-IA level, which is what I'd assume most people are going to sim as, there are 85 scholarshipped athletes on the roster, plus walk-ons. The walk-on component is a big deal because it's a great flavor element to be able to take a chance on a walk-on, then see him develop into someone good enough to get a scholarship. Both FOFTCY and BBCF had this feature, but where they skimped was on initial roster size (I want to say it was in the neighborhood of 70 for each game, which made the college roster look like a pro roster.).

Incidentally, even capping the roster at 100 would fall short of where D-1 schools play. D-1 schools are allowed to bring in 105 players at the start of fall camp, then the roster expands to an unlimited number somewhere around the t-minus-2-week mark until season start. Once the rosters expand, most major programs go up around 125 and some go higher.