View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigey75 View Post
Also, let's say your guy sustains a serious injury on day 1 that will knock him out for months. Will the AI make any roster moves like putting him on the DL, or will I get to do that when the sim has been completed?
This is one of the biggest areas of variability in online leagues.

In the league I run, I check the Injury Log every day of a sim, and if a team has sustained an injury which requires a roster adjustment, I make it, following some guidelines that I've made clear to the league's owners. For example, what if a team lost both of its catchers over the course of two or three days? Or lost two or three starting pitchers? These things demand an immediate reaction. Of course, I also follow owners' instructions: they can request, ahead of time, that I perform a particular response, if their team sustains an injury. An owner can also ask me to keep my mitts off his team, no matter what, and I'm happy to follow that command.

I also check everyone's DL before a sim, and re-activate players as soon as they're eligible. What if a team's star player is able to return to the team, one or two games into the sim? It wouldn't make sense for him to sit on the DL for a week, for no reason.

Communication with the Commish is the key. Even if your league doesn't have policies that deal with these things, most Commissioners will follow your instructions, if you clearly declare what you'd like for him to do, in different circumstances. For example, you can tell a Commish "On May 3, bring Pujols off the disabled list. Send Johnson back down to AAA and put Pujols into the lineup."

How a Commish deals with things like this will tell you a lot about the destiny of his league.

As a Commissioner, I need to be in touch with everything that happens, on every team, every day. I safeguard the competitiveness and realism of my league. I am a shepherd, and the owners are my flock.
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote