View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 07:14 AM   #8
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Every team has strengths and weaknesses, yes. It's just a fact of life. When you're playing an 82 game schedule, you don't have time to adjust tactically to an individual opponent like in Football or even to a small degree, baseball. It's a fast sport.

Remember, tactics are based on Player > Unit > Global. While it's fine to mess a bit with individual player tactics, Unit changes aren't great more than say once a year, but Global are changes you can make each game. Check your scouting reports on opposing goalies and change where your team is shooting. But find chemistry that works. You'll often see in real life coaches doing "line mixes" to try something new. Really, right now there's no better example than the Winnipeg Jets. They've been swapping lines basically due to injury but watching them play, individual players have taken on different roles in their new line combos which has been interesting to see. Whereas a player like Perrault has changed his game from a playmaker, he's now more an up and down winger. Or Kyle Connor going to more a Power Forward role when he's playing with Scheifele and Laine verus being a Perimeter Shoooter when he was with Wheeler and Scheifele.
I have to kick in with my experience.
I never change global tactics. I set it once but I don't mess with them. I intensively work with my units' tactics. I found it makes an enormous difference. You said that it shouldn't be changed too much, but in my experience it's different. I actually change them quite often, accordingly to my opposition also often. When I see that things don't work, I change to more simple tactics. I found that playing against better teams, usually playing the stay in your lanes types of tactics does help a lot. As well as the "sagging the zone" setting, I find that it helps when you don't exactly know what to do (I guess it mymics IRL quite well as I intend this setting as "when in doubt, try to occupy more space as possible, hit when you can, and try to get your opposition off the slot").
I also try to go and change single-player settings. As you said, tempo, passing, and shooting are very important.
I understand that at first it's not easy to do something when you start losing games one after another, but YOU ARE LOSING GAMES, this means that keep on getting your team playing this way is wrong.
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote