View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #76
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc5477 View Post
You are wrong bud.

Historic and current are not what broke the game. The results would have been the same even if all fictional. The triggers that caused the game to fall apart were not the players specifically, but rather valuations by the AI on its own teams. Recall, outside of the draft, the AI does not see "historic" or "real" players, it only seed numbers. Willie Randolph could have been named Weird Al Yakovich and the results would be the same.

What historic does is give the player an edge due to knowing the players. It changed nothing in the AI behavior. Further, I never said I had recalc on so we are using "historic" very loosely here.

You can use historic just fine with stats if you turn recalc off. It is actually a load of fun that way because you get to use all the famous players but you never know what the results will be. For instance, in my current league, the best closer in all baseball is... Ben Tincup. In real life, he barely played a few seasons. Babe Ruth is never going to get near his home run record due to injuries and not getting signed the 1st time he was drafted. Ty Cobb is still playing at age 44. Jim Bottomly hit for a record .448 BA in 1924 (in a league season that averaged .238). And the single season home record is held by Akihiro Okada... an international FA who hit... 86 home runs. Yep it was nuts and no I did not have him on my team. The next closest leader that season barely had 40. Too bad he entered at age 30.

The problem is with AI valuations in stats only mode.
No, the problem is the wrong way that you did everything. YOU DON'T DO IT WHERE YOU HAVE PRECONCEPTIONS OR FOREKNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE PLAYERS. The only problem here is you and your own failures; the game works fine, evaluation works fine and stats only works fine. You just have to be able to follow directions.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote