View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #83
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

February 8 – The Titans sign star reliever Robinson Borquez. How effective he will be at age 36 and an injury-riddled season, remains to be seen. Borquez will receive $1.232M over two years.
February 8 – In an attempt to boost their offense, the Indians sign infielder Luis Camacho, formerly with the Wolves.
February 11 – The Aces land workhorse reliever Geronimo Tortima and his career 2.44 ERA. Tortima was with the Cyclones the last few years.
February 11 – The Cyclones meanwhile announce the signing of lefty reliever Michael Alexander and his 2.09 lifetime ERA, although his last two years were less pretty and not that successful as part time closer of the Falcons.
February 14 – More and more relievers fall into place: former Wolves closer Stan Curtis heads for the Bayhawks’, earning $888k there for a season. Curtis has 126 career saves.
February 14 – SP Cristo Perez finds a new home in Atlanta for $1.02M over two years. Perez is 59-58 with a 3.25 ERA for his career, spent exclusively with the Thunder so far.

I signed a few scrap players to fill up the minors, which had been depleted a bit with trades and releases. (The organization had shrunk by six players through January, excluding DL inhabitants, which were three more) These are not listed here, as they were all AA material at best.

I was still looking for a centerfielder somewhere. Ken Clark had been second in steals last season, but both him and Ben Cox had been struggling at the plate. Sherwood Henderson had been even worse as fifth outfielder. If I would want to make another trade, it would be for that area.

There was 33-yr old Chris Smith on the market. He was a career .291 batter for the Bayhawks and Knights, and was a good to great fielder, but he demanded $320k (the Raccoons were a little tight budget-wise with the smallest budget in the league) and he was a type B free agent. Forfeiting a second round pick for a 33 year old. Hmmmmm.

February 16 – SP Salah Brunet, 37, signs a 3-yr, $2.2M deal with the Crusaders. Brunet is 56-33 with a 2.42 ERA lifetime and pitched a no-hitter in 1977. He spent all of his career so far for the Indians.
March 16 – The Raccoons and Canadiens strike a deal that sends AAA outfielder Nicolas Castillo to Vancouver for three minor leaguers: SP Jerry Ackerman, infielder Justin Childress, and corner infielder Lou Hobbs.
March 30 – With the start to the season less than a week away, Falcons SP Sergio Salazar hurt his arm bowling with friends and will miss at least a week.

There goes 52-homer Castillo. He is 29 and I wouldn’t play him over Daniel Hall anyway. That way I got two solid AAA infielders (no real chance at making the majors in either case). The main prize is Ackerman. He looks rather promising for making the majors in two or three years. However at age 22 he already had major elbow surgery (bone chips), and he pitched only in three games in all of last season. He will be assigned to AA first, although the Canadiens had him at AAA last year.

BNN ranks the Racooons tied for 2nd in off season WAR gain at +5.1 (head-to-head with the Capitals), mostly attributed to Jack Pennington. The Crusaders lead with +10.8 trying to rebound from a mediocre 82-80 season. Miners (+4.0) and Aces (+3.1) complete the Top 5.

The bottom 5 are: Indians (-4.0), Canadiens (-4.2), Warriors (-5.2), Cyclones (-5.6), and Thunder (-8.8).

A centerfielder did not materialize. Next: roster for 1981, and then a look at the first games of the season.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote