View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #82
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

January 11 – C Mike Gamble does not resign with the Scorpions, but joins the Loggers on $904k over two seasons. Gamble is a .256 career hitter with some power.
January 13 – The Crusaders sign 1B/2B Freddie Riley, who combines decent fielding with good hitting, for $1.86M over three years.
January 14 – Five players dealt between Raccoons and Cyclones: the Portland Raccoons sends SS/3B Pedro Hermundo, MR Bill Baker, minors SP Pepe Acevedo, minors infielder Richard Klug, and cash to Cincinnati, and receive SP Jack Pennington (who had an off year in 1980 with a 13-11, 4.44 ERA line).

Bang! Pedro Hermundo is gone. He appeared on the losing edge when compared to Cameron Green last September. Green struggled in ’79 and early on in 1980 in the majors, but got dialed in by fall. With Simon set and Nixon returning from the DL, Hermundo had nowhere to go. The Raccoons can not afford a bench player that expensive, so something had to be done. Baker was horrible, posting ERA’s over 8 each of the last two seasons. Acevedo was our round 2 pick in the 1979 draft, but he had not gotten out of A ball yet and didn’t look like he would this year either. Klug spent four years at the A level with poor hitting, but the Cyclones specifically asked for him in a list of five players to complete the deal. It was the usual suspects, Richard Cunningham (nasty stuff reliever in AA ball, will in all probability be promoted to AAA once the season gets under way), or Klug. I happily parted with the latter one. I hate to let Hermundo go, his offense was decent, and his defense was close to stellar, but it had to be. Cincinnati couldn’t afford the contracts of Baker and Hermundo and I even chipped in some cash to get this done. Pennington should be our #2 starter at the beginning of the season, and #3 once Romero gets back.

We’ve been struggling for four years to get our starting pitching dialed in. Pennington better goes to work.

At this point, I have the rotation shored up. Maybe Moran and Ocasio will both get their chances. Once Romero comes back, Ocasio will no longer be needed in the majors.

My lineup is also set, although some minor stuff has to be ironed out. I find it hard to place Ralph Nixon and Hoyt Cook correctly, and I plan with Ken Clark in centerfield, but I am not entirely happy with it.

February came without major trades and signings.

The 1981 schedule AGAIN has not rotated. I’m starting to lose my patience with this game. Either the online help text on schedule naming conventions is just wrong, or there is some bug in the game, because I can not possibly that much of an idiot. I have REALLY had it with that schedule crap!
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote