View Single Post
Old 10-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #20
JMDurron
All Star Starter

I tend to go pretty deep into only a few leagues, because in most cases I prefer to play out the games, because I get invested in my rosters and want the best outcomes possible for the players on them, as well as the team itself. I measure performance against myself, as opposed to vs history or realism on a team level. I do like to compare player performance to historical output in my historical leagues, though.

My longest-running league was one I started in OOTP 12, in fact the intent to do this league is why I bought OOTP to begin with. I started with the 1974 Red Sox, and I have played out every game through 1989 to date. My enthusiasm for the league ebbs and flows a bit, I haven't played this one any since OOTP 18, but it's still my longest-running one.

The premise of the league itself was based on an online discussion of using one's historical knowledge to improve a team in history, so within a few specific parameters that I have limited myself to, things are skewed enough in my favor that there aren't really any interesting stories to share in terms of my team's exploits. The more interesting element has been how excellent some random (relative to history) divisional rival has managed to build a sub-dynasty (my nemesis, but rarely good enough to outplay my team), like the Detroit Tigers managed to do from the late 70s through the early 1980s. Mike Schmidt at 3B with Trammel and Whitaker makes for quite the excellent IF.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote