View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #16
chazzycat
All Star Starter

The reason "live cards suck at high levels" is because the modern game is tilted towards home runs, away from contact hitting. Homers are being hit at all-time historic levels, and so modern pitchers have bad "movement" ratings. Along with homers always comes strikeouts. So the modern hitters tend to have good power & eye ratings, but not great contact or avoid K.

So when you put the modern guys in a more neutral environment, and keeping in mind that over the course of baseball history, contact has been MUCH more important than power, they tend to struggle a bit. The hitters strike out too much and pitchers give up too many homers.

And this brings me to the other comments in the thread - editing park factors. Why play in a neutral environment with live cards? You can control your environment, so it makes no sense to just accept playing at a disadvantage. Instead, try setting your park factors to something more favorable to the modern playstyle. Set your park factors to favor power over contact, and slug away. Just get some MOV ratings for pitching.

I can verify this approach works at least to some extent. It got my SaberCats to perfect on a $20 budget. My outfielders are all live: Bellinger, Trout, Judge, & Hicks. My catchers are live Grandal & Sanchez. Yes, my batting averages are terrible. But I lead my league in Homers. It doesn't stop me from winning games.

Moral of the story - live cards can work in the right situation.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote