View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #44
Fredrocker
Major Leagues

Interview with Gleyber Torres

Interview with Gleyber Torres, Huntington Station’s Third Baseman
September 3rd, 1903

Burbone: Thanks for meeting with me today Gleyber as I know you are a busy man. First off, how does it feel to be 19 years old in a brand new start up league and hitting the hell out of the baseball?

Torres: Well Chowdon, when I took a shot at making it into this league I wasn’t sure if I would even be drafted, and after 15 rounds and not hearing my name called I thought I was probably doomed to be in one of the two minors leagues. I got lucky though when the Ramrods drafted me as the 8th Pick in the 18th Round… First thing I did was call my mama to tell her about it… As far as hitting the ball, I am off to a good start with my power numbers but Hitting Coach Cap Anson has been working with me to develop a better sense of the strike zone to cut down on my strike outs…

Burbone: Yea, Cap is old school and wants everyone to make contact, according to Cap you can’t do crap for your team with a strike out. So Gleyber how did you end up in American from Venezuela?

Torres: My family and I moved up to the States about 5 years ago, it was a tough trip, and then we had to wait a couple weeks to get our Visa’s… but now my Mama, Papa and I are all in classes to get our US Citizenship… It’s the dream baby, you know what I mean Chowdon…

Burbone: I hear ya, Currently you are second in the league in Home Runs and fourth in Runs Batted In, but the fans seem to bring up your liability in the field. Do you have any thoughts on that Gleyber…

Torres: I love these Long Island fans as they sure as hell know baseball. You know when I was a kid all I did was pitch and hit so I never really got a chance to play in the field much. I was a much better hitter than a pitcher, so I knew I would have to develop some fielding skills if I planned to move up in baseball, I decided on Third Base. One of my good friends and supporters is Jose C Herrera on the Henderson Hens in the Kitty League, Jose has taught me a lot about fielding and this off-season we plan to spend 3-4 days a week working on that aspect of my game…

Burbone: The Huntington Station team is in first place and except for a few ties have led their divisional all year… What is atmosphere like in the clubhouse with this team?

Torres: First off, that S..t about Manager Rocker keeping in Tommy Seaver too long is bull, and the fans should shut that S..t down…. That said, the locker room is in decent shape and everyone is striving to make the playoffs. Brocky (CF Brock Davis) is a real prankster, the other day he put some itch cream in one of the starting pitchers jock… Thank goodness he wasn’t pitching that day.. Otherwise we have a good crew, we are looking for something special in this inaugural season of RABA….

Burbone: Last question, What was it like to be named to the All-Star team in the summer?

Torres: It was a great honor… I never in my wildest imagination thought I would make it, less alone start at third base… I know I went 1 for 4, but I did have a run scored… wait till next year….

-Chowdon Sum Burbone
Ramrods Beat Writer
The Huntingtonian
Fredrocker is offline   Reply With Quote