Thread: Back in '72
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
RMc
All Star Starter

Back in '72

"Back in '72" was the title of a Bob Seger album, which you can read about here. (It didn't sell very well, and has never been issued on CD. I mean, what the hell, guys? It's freakin' Bob Seger...!)

Also back in '72, the World Hockey Association began play. This dynasty will rewrite hockey history from July 1, 1972...only in this timeline, the WHA has a number of advantages they didn't have in OTL:

1) The WHA is on much better financial footing, thanks to the support of a Shadowy Billionaire ("SB"), who is definitely not to be confused with the guy played by Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie The Aviator;

2) SB's TV network, HTN, decides to go national in 1971 and take on ABC, CBS and NBC...and the following year, they ink a deal to show several WHA games every week. (HTN was a real network, evolving from a company called Sports Network Incorporated);

3) The WHA beats the NHL to Long Island. In OTL, the WHA planned to place its New York team in the brand-new Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Nassau County officials did not consider the WHA a major league and wanted to keep them out; however, in this timeline, SB uses his connections (and lotsa cold cash) to make Nassau an offer they can't refuse. Bingo! Welcome, New York Golden Blades! (Yes, I know, but "Raiders" is too close to "Rangers", and there's already a football team using that name);

3a) And since the Islanders don't happen, neither do the Atlanta Flames, leaving the brand-new Omni Coliseum empty...at least for now. (Sportswriters and many league officials agree that the NHL, having gone to 14 teams just two years earlier, shouldn't be expanding again so soon);

4) And how! Actually, and Howe: Houston signs Gordie, Mark and Marty a year early. (And just for fun, I had the Cougars pry Stan Mikita away from the Blackhawks, giving him the seed money he needs to open the donut shop we see in the Wayne's World movies. Party on, Garth!)

Ready? Let's begin.