View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #20
Gary Gorski
Developer of Total Pro Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin462 View Post
Wolverine Studios has a very strange release timeline for their football games. I think they went into early access for their college football sim in January, and I also think they went live earlier this month with the full release. I'm not saying that to say it's anything to replicate, but actually using it as an example of a company that seems to be trying to do it all with very little rhyme or reason (they seem to be churning out as many sims as possible, but with little focus on a core game to build off of).
I came across this post today so I thought since we were mentioned I might as well answer the question regarding release schedules.

Our football development team are part-time guys - they do a fantastic job but they are developing the game after hours. We are nowhere near the size of OOTP Dev - if we were even a tenth as big the football games would be on full time so if and until that point ever comes they're getting the games done as quickly as possible but it means doing the work on one game first and then the other - the same holds true for the basketball games. I can't develop them at the same time so work gets done on the pro game first and that gets released at the start of the NBA season and then work on the college game gets done and it gets released in February right before we get into March Madness.

The football releases weren't when we had hoped and our goal is to be more timely with them this year but as always we're just going to do the best we can. It was better to release them with the updates and new features we wanted to include and release them after we would have preferred as opposed to just releasing something to release it whether it was the game we wanted it to be or not just to hit a particular date.

I think the fact that between myself and two guys on the football team we put out 5 releases for our 2019 schedule is an amazing feat and they're all solid games - the football games aren't to the depth level of the basketball games yet because they're only a few years old. Compare OOTP 20 to OOTP 4 - nobody starts off being SI Games or OOTP or anything like that

We are focused on our customers and trying to deliver them new experiences year after year so that they know they can depend on us. Maybe people skip a year between releases because they want two years of new stuff before they buy - that's ok - they at least know that there's going to be a new release every year and hopefully people will continue to support us so that we can grow the studio like Markus has done here and eventually have teams of full time people working on the games so they could all come out at the perfect point in the year like OOTP does. We need people to stick by us like they did here and work with us over the years to make each product better, do more sales and grow the company larger so that we can operate like OOTP does. This is the model for us to follow and we hope some day we get even close to being the company OOTP Dev is.
Assoc. Developer of Draft Day Sports: Pro Football
Assoc. Developer of Draft Day Sports: College Football
Wolverine Studios
http://www.wolverinestudios.com
http://www.facebook.com/wolverinestudios
http://www.twitter.com/wolverinestudio