View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 01:56 AM   #24
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Sharks trade prospects, pick for Nedved
12/16/1991

In the spirit of Christmas, 9 days away, the Vancouver Canucks and San Jose Sharks exchanged gifts. Leaving the Canucks for central California are struggling sophomore centre Petr Nedved and minor league winger Andrew McBain. Leaving the Sharks are goalie Craig Billington, D-man Steve Poapst and a 5th round pick in the 1992 NHL entry draft.

Some might say Vancouver was more giving than San Jose. “They put a lot into getting Petr to begin with so we were a bit surprised that he was available” noted GM Fyvie of the trade. “I mean, (Nedved) created an international incident defecting and they move him during a sophomore slump.”

Nedved (pictured) is finding it difficult adjusting to the rigours of the NHL, but the talent level is there. “I think he needs a friend.” Added Slovak centre and fellow defector Petr Statsny. “We’ll make him feel welcome. Give him a home cooked meal. It’s not a fish bowl here. You come to work, play hockey, you don’t have an army of media following your every move like you do up in Canada.”

The young Czech winger has joined San Jose in New York and is expected to be in the lineup tonight against the Rangers.

It is planned that Nedved will join Stastny and David Volek forming a Czech-Slovak line in the middle of the depth chart. “He’s a great talent.” David Volek added. “He’s got a great shot and knows how to use it. I think we’ll have fun together.”

Petr Nedved made headlines in January of 1989 when he defected from Czechoslovakia to Canada whilst in Calgary playing in the Macs’ Midget Hockey Tournament. Drafted by Vancouver in 1990, Nedved has struggled with life in North America and the media scrutiny his talent has attracted.

The 14-16-3 Vancouver Canucks start a 4 game homestead tomorrow against the Red Wings. San Jose starts their road trip tonight as they visit the New York Rangers. Their record stands at 8-23-2.
Attached Images
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote